Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WooHoo picking up a Henry Jr. (4x8) this weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 17, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I fell in love with one of these when they were still available in the 90's, but at that time never would have been able to afford one.
    I fill in once in a while at my church on the bass chair. The amp they use is an Ampeg 4x8 combo. I love the sound of those 4x8 speakers. Playing it a couple weeks ago really made me GAS for a 4x8. Nice deep bass, with fast and punchy speakers. Compared to a 4x10 it didn't seem to lose much other than the some rumble and size.

I know the Ampeg and the SWR are different, but the Ampeg reminded me of the sound of the Henry Jr I heard years ago. Plus the Henry is lighter. At 55lbs, I find it more manageable than most 4x10s. I recently found one, and I'll be going to Baltimore to pick it up this weekend. I'll post a review after I run it through the gauntlet of amps and basses.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Had a chance to play around with the cab for a few hours. I played my Warwick Fortress MM, and Essex J Bass through an iAmp350 into the cab. Here's my observations:

-In short, this cab is punchy with great clarity. The mids on this baby are to die for. The speakers are fast, and articulate well. Excellent note definition on this cab, and the mids and highs really come through.

- Handles the lows quite well. Tight sounding, with minimal boom. It doesn't go as low as my 2 Aguilar GS112s, but has a bit more lows than the typical 15 without the boominess. You really have to crank the amp if you want it to thud. If you really boost the amp below 45Hz, and crank the volume you lose some of the fundamental. But all in all, the bass is nice and tight, and there's plenty of it.

-The tweeter can be hissy, especially with active pickups, but that's what attenuators are for. To me anything past 0 db for the tweeter is sorta harsh and hissy.

- It's loud, but could be louder. It sounds sweet, but I had to really crank the amp before it sounded thunderous. It would workout as a standalone for small to medium gigs.

- Easy enough to carry. At 55lbs, it's much easier on the back than a 4x10. It's not as bulky either. The recessed handles make it easy to lift. The casters on it are nice, I only wish they would lock, or were removable. I don't know if the casters are aftermarket or stock.

I'm dying to hear how this cab pairs with my others, namely my Aggie GS112s and Bag End S15-D. I'll be using this along with an Aggie and my SWR SM400s at an outdoor gig this weekend. Should be sweet.

3. Good score man. Today I tried a Henry the 8x8. Was very suprised at the lows for 8" speakers and had good tone. Just not my cup of tea though!