Woohoo! Pulled the trigger on a matched pair of Shuker basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, May 1, 2003.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sorry, just had to shout out a little.

One or two of you might remember last year that I got a 6 string fretless ABG from the English maker Jon Shuker. Check out his stuff:

I love my ABG and have used it on several projects. So when I wanted to take (what I trust will be) a step up from the trusty Carvins I've had for the past decade (no knock on the Carvins, BTW), I thought of Jon. He's a good guy, he runs a small shop and does all the woodwork and setup himself, and his prices are highly reasonable. (He also gives a price break to repeat buyers and people who order matched pairs, hee hee.)

So I'm getting a matched pair of bolt-on Custom model 6 strings, one fretless w/ lines, and one fretful. Here's what we've got so far;

Scale: 34" (to match my ABG)
    Neck: bolt-on 7 piece maple and wenge (carved to match the profile of my ABG)
    Fingerboard: still to be decided; ebony if Jon can find a really well aged piece that he's confident is unlikely to move or crack; otherwise phenolic (which I have on my ABG and actually works quite well).
    Main body wood: African walnut
    Top: bookmatched amboyna burl, with thin black veneer layer to set it off from the African walnut
    Hardware: black, with individual pieces for the bridge
    Electronics: Duncan Basslines, w/ proprietary Shuker preamp

If anybody's interested, I can post a few pics when I get them.

This is a great time to be a bassist with all the makers around now. Choice is good, and more choice is even better! I'd recommend anybody looking around for a custom bass now at least consider putting Jon in the mix along with the others. Especially British/European folks. For Americans, the exchange rate with the pound has been better, but the cost still works out pretty well. I could easily spend more money on one custom bass than I am on these two. Well, not easily, 'cause I'm far from rich, but you know what I mean.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I can't wait to see the finished products. What's the ETA?
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    8 to 10 weeks, possibly on the earlier end of that. He's just rough-cut the bodies and necks. That's the other cool thing--I don't have to wait 6 months to a year!
  4. ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Jons stuff is great- Ive got a 5 string wenge/paduk neck zebrawood body walnut top and back. Jon dosn't actually make the ABGs anymore its the other guy David (I think thats his name) who does all the classical guitars. My next purchase will be either an upright or a jazz......

Im suprised your contacting a British builder when you live in NYC Ive just been over and played Pensas Smiths MTDs etc and want one of each....
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Shuker basses.. I had never heard of them before. Beautiful instruments!! So you just said "to hell with it" and got two at once huh?? GOOD FOR YOU!!! :D

Cant wait to see the finished product! Keep us posted!!
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yeah, I know, it's really Marc who does the ABGs (under the name Antonio Lamaq). I'd love to see some of his classicals sometime, since I also play nylon string.

Smiths, Pensas, MTDs, Foderas ... those are all great basses for sure. I just wanted something a little different. Nobody I've seen around here has a Shuker! And frankly, cost did play a role. I couldn't have afforded two of any of those other basses.

I only found out about Jon and Marc because I'd been looking for years for someone who would make a 6 string ABG for something I could afford (i.e., not $8000-10,000!). I haven't found dealing with a UK builder much different from dealing with someone, say, in a faraway part of the US. E-mail and cheap international long distance rule.
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    definitely going to have to see pics!
    Sounds tasty.
  9. ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I meant Marc- actually my shuker stands up very well to the big names in terms of quality- I played a wenge necked MTD535 thinking I was never going to want play my shuker again but I was pleasantly suprised- I still want a Ken Smith though...
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    A starter pic. I'll post more as I get them if there's interest. I kinda like the body shape. Familiar but not exactly like anything.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Here's what the top will be. This is unfinished of course.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Beautiful basses at a real "affordable" price!
  13. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I was about to order a 6-string jazz from him, but alot of things got in the way... Super nice guy that's really knows alot about woods and their sound. Tell him Johannes from Sweden still wants that jazz! ;)