1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WooHoo! Won an iAmp 500 on eBay ... my Euphonic Audio rig is now complete!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lia_G, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I really didn't think I'd win this one with a single bid, but I did:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7409480088

I've been wanting one ever since Mike J. (MJ5150) loaned me his to try out for a few days. I found it to be the perfect doubling head (bg + db), and to really sound great with either one Wizzy (loud and great tone) or 2 Wizzys (LOUD and GREAT TONE). ;)

The iAmp 500 + two Wizzys is likely all the rig I'll ever need. Although if I decide to hang onto my Acoustic Image Clarus SL head, I could use it to crank 250 watts into a third Wizzy.

Woah ... 750 watts into three Wizzys??????? :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Forgive me, I'm a bit giddy ... ;)

Cheers,
    Liam

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Congrats. The Wizzies seem like they would be right up my alley, and an iAmp would be cool to play around with, if not enitrely my style. Congrats again!

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Congrats! I use the same rig: iAMP500 and 2 wizzys.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah for you Liam. I'm totally happy for you. What an awesome score. :D :D

Well, it won't be long before you're ready for the 800. I said all the same things you did when I got my 500. :D

-Mike

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    Ooooooo,

nothin' like an all EA lovefest... :cool:

6. I don't double, but my iamp 800 is clearly the best head I've owned, ever. (pun intended)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think this is the point - so I've seen a lot of iAmp 500 up for sale - but I tend to think it's because the 800 is so good that people who buy a 500 will inevitably want an 800 as EA cabs are inefficient and more headroom is good for undistorted bass- iness!! ;)

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The older VL-series EA cabs are indeed pretty inefficient. The newer cabs, especially the Wizzy and CXL-112, are rather efficient cabs. Although more headroom is always nice, these newer cabs will go loud and still sound good with quite low amounts of power.

Alex

9. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

As someone who's thinking of going the iAmp / 2 Wizzy route, will the 500 do the job or is the 800 a "must have"?

I know that more headroom is always better but I'm sure there is a limit. Seeing a pair of Wizzys are rated for 400 watts, the iAmp 500 is 100 watts over.

Will the extra power of the iAmp 800 give me a better (quality) sound?

Thanks,
    LeonD

10. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Ye, current EA cabs are highly efficient. The Wizzy in particular.

I really think that the 500 is just the perfect match for a couple of wizzys, although I have to say that with the caveat that I haven't tried an iAmp 800 (yet). But the iAmp 500 through two Wizzys is just stupid loud, with seemingly tons of headroom. I think if I were putting an iAmp 800 rig together, it would be using either two NL210s or two CXL112Ls, or some combination of the two ... or three cabs ... ;)

If the Wizzy was available as an 8 ohm cab, though, then pairing three of them with an iAmp 800 might make a monster rig ...

But one thing I'm very much after is light weight, and the iAmp 500 gives me that (13 pounds) along with great tone.

I've played other lightweight heads that work great for either upright (Acoustic Image) or bg (Eden WT330 / 405), but to my ears the iAmp is the only one I've played that really sounds great for doubling. I know that others have different experiences and opinions there, as many people like AI stuff with bg, and some like Eden with upright, and there are also amps I've never tried ...

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Liam

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I prefer the sound of inefficient cabs! :)

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Two wizzys rock! I just bought my second wizzy from steve clark (good deal, good guy!) and I'll be running them with my eden wt405 when it arrives.

Seriously you cant beat two wizzys. So portable, efficient, and gorgeous tone.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The 800 is not a "must have". It's a nice have for sure. You'll do fine with the 500. The 800 will not produce a better quality sound to your ears unless you got that thing cranked up full blast and dig in hard core.

-Mike

14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I actually found that the iamp 500 was louder, but the 800 was deeper in the low low end response.

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Likewise!

Alex

16. You mean something likes this? ;)

Attached Files:

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Congrats, nice price.

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Heh, yep. ;)

Nice rig!

Liam

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats! Two Wizzy's with the iAMP 500 (or 800) make for a fantastic rig! :)

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use a 500 with 2 Wizzy's often on gigs and like it very much! Congrats. :)