Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woolly mammoth.... GRRRRRR!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Jan 23, 2006.

1. My mammoth appears to have changed recently? The pinch (gate control) doesn't seem to react the same as it did. there is either a harsh gate or a stupidly harsh gate :meh:

Anyone else had this problem? nothing seems to be loose inside and I have heard that the battery will last for ever in the mammoth so I doubt it is that.

It is a lot less usable for me without being able to reduce the gating so any help would be great

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Did you change bases, EQ settings, preamp, or anything that would affect your sound before it gets to the Mammoth?

Try the battery. I had a similar thing happen with mine and thats what it was. It's true it uses very little power in comparison to other pedals, and the battery will last a long time, but not "forever." Also, I always unplug the input jack on mine when I'm done playing, to extend the life of the battery. Hope this helps.

3. Thanks for the reply. Nothing has changed, it is the first effect in the chain and it is a passive warwick rockbass. I guess I will have to get a new battery or improvise a 9v battery clip onto the power bank somehow??

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Probably the battery, they do last a long time but not forever, maybe 1 year depending on use

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Zvex makes an adaptor/base that allows you to plug into a power supply...I'm not sure how much it costs though.:rolleyes:

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Uhm, <shameless plug> I have a Zvex Power Plate on ebay right now with a starting bid of 99 cents. </plug>

7. I just made my own power plate!! :cool:

...mammoth is back to its usual self, roaring from the depths of its prehistoric heart! :bassist:

Another related question. Anyone know how I can mod it to have an LED on/off indicator? I use the pedal in a loooper and sometimes loose track of when it is on/off.

8. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I usually use these things for single effects:

[​IMG]

they work great and you just snap them in as if they were a battery. You don't have to worry about matching jacks or anything like that.

9. I wired a battery clip to a 2.5mm power adaptor end so i can plug the mammoth straight into the powerbank on the pedal board.

Anyone got any ideas on the LED modification?

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You'll just see lots of threads comparing the circuit

which is better Wooly Mamoth with or without LED, as if your running it on battery the LED technically effects your tone.

:p

Or Does it

:D

12. I searched for Mammoth and LED and there were only about 5 or 6 results. Where do the TB electronics geeks hang out? Someone must know how to do the LED mod. I have also posted on the zvex forum so if i get a reply there I will post it here for all to see. :)

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You could email Zachary himself, he's meant to be very helpful

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    http://zvex.com/phpBB2/
    Here's a link to the Zvex forum. Zachary Vex admins the site, and often responds to questions like this. You could try posting there.

15. Hm I'd like to know about adding a led too. Mine doesn't have one. I have the powerplate though.