Woolly mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Max Roberts, Sep 21, 2006.

1. I have wanted a woolly mammoth for months now but after reading a couple of reviews on TB i am now having doubts! After people said you can only get about to different sounds out of it and that it wasn't worth the price! Please help. there must be a woolly mammoth owner who loves it if you please persuade me to get one because i really do but need more reasons to.

2. MagicianMan

MagicianMan

Aug 2, 2006
    Vermont
    From what I've heard of sound clips (NOT an owner) the Woolly Mammoth is a great electronic fuzz pedal, not a good slight overdrive pedal. If all you want is that fuzz for metal or electronica then go ahead but if you are looking for a overdrive pedal I would look somewhere else.

Plus it's expensive :rolleyes:

Maybe someone who owns one will come along and tell us both.

3. karter2000

karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Nowhere land
    Hello,

I bought one used from fellow TB member 43% Burnt (Thanks Justin!) and I really like it. Keep in mind that I love fuzz bass, as I also own a Little Big Muff, Fulltone Bassdrive, and a Prunes and Custard. Compared to the other fuzz pedals I've tried/owned, I would say it's pretty extreme. It's meant to be a fuzz pedal, as opposed to a tube-like overdrive. The Mammoth is probably a little more harsh than my Little Big Muff. The controls are quite effective, and can get a variety of different sounds. I'm a big Muse fan, and I find that the Mammoth can get really close to a Time is Running Out type of synth sound.

As far cost, I guess that is subjective. However, they are very well-made pedals and high quality in terms of sound. Believe me, I've been through lots of fuzz/distortions/overdrives!

Hope that helps,

Lyle

4. Hey i love muse too as soon as heard the demos it reminded me of the time is running out effect! i have decided i will buy the pedal and see how things work out with it.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    For what it does, it does it great. I bought it, tried it, returned it. For me, it was a bit industrial and sterile sounding (YMMV). If it wasn't so expensive, I would have kept it.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I have one, it's pretty cool but only usable for extreme fuzz. Granted, you can get a variety of tones from it, but all of them will strip the paint off the walls. I don't use it very often (my Homebrew Hematoma covers most of my overdrive needs), but sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered.

It doesn't like active basses by the way, but sounds great with passive ones.

7. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    It also may depend on your amp (and what your tastes are).

It sounded cool with my solid state power amp. With a tube amp it was like too much of a good thing. If your amp gives you little or no overdrive at all (or you can dial it all the way down) then the WM could be nice, especially if you want an aggressive fuzz sound.

8. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I too was thinking about a WM, but I have an 18V Aguilar OBP-3 preamp in my Modulus VJ... should I change my mind about buying one?

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Interesting that you mention the SS vs. tube amp difference. The pedal sounded great while I tried it at the store through a SS amp, but through an SVT-CL, I didn't care for it.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I would try one first. With a hot output active bass the Woolly Mammoth compresses a whole buttload, and it honestly sounds like crap that way. I tried turning down the volume on my Sterling for a spell, but it doesn't quite do the trick. Sounds great with my passive basses though. :bassist:

11. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    yeah, with the mammoth you gotta go passive. only the atari-like gated insane sounds work with active pup´s, but even those sound better passive.
    i installed an active/passive switch on my MIADlxJazzV just because of the mammoth. :)

cheers,
    lowstar

12. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have one.
    The Mammoth, plus my 1966 Gibson EBO. thru a SVT.
    Makes people run away.

13. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Is it just a matter of active PUP's or either preamp?

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Active pickups just have a preamp built into the pickups, instead of having a separate external preamp. So regarding the Mammoth, there is no difference.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021