Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wooly mammoth and active/passive basses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jul 18, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i know the WM doesnt jive with active basses. however what about basses that have an active pssive switch or push/pull function. for example, my warwick infinity has a push/pull knob for active passive stuff. i know when on active the bass and WM wouldnt go, but if i put the bass on passive wouldnt it work then? just curious, thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As long as it's a true active/passive bypass, then yes.

Here's what I mean: my Warwick Thumb 5 had EMG pickups and MEC preamp. There was bypass available by pulling the volume pot but this was only an EQ bypass - the EMG active pickups were still drawing battery power and so the output signal wasn't any lower vs preamp with eq flat.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    mine is stock, so it should, i hope, by pass the whole active system. however i dont know.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are the stock pickups active or passive?
    If you take out the battery, select bypass and you still get sound then you should be ok.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    True. The Wooly absolutely sucks on active basses. So much so that I actually switched to passive partly due to wanting my Wooly to sound better.

The think is, it's an impedance issue, not a signal strength issue. If switching to passive truly puts your bass in a hi-impedance mode, then you are good to go. If it just bypasses the pre, but still keeps your signal at lo-impedance, then you are still screwed.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's what I was trying to say, just not as succintly as you :)

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I must have a problem.
    I tried several mammoths on passive and active basses.
    I never manage to get anything musical out of them.
    The only one I've seen used live served a noise box purpose, mostly useless too.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    actually zach told me it was the impedance thing. something about them not matching up.

but let me clarify, i think i learned something new...passive basses have high impedance and active basses have low impededance right? thanks guys and gals.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, it's a FUZZ, which is not for everybody. I get very musical results out of mine; my guess is a difference in what we find musical. ;)

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    it just occured to me, i wonder why he doesnt make one that can interact with passive basses.... of maybe it cant be done. ah well.

ben which recording on your site has a WM sample?

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The only one so far is Discipline; it kicks in right when the big boomy things happen. I used a ZVex Machine, into the Wooly, then into the BassTriaxis (on a slightly dirty preset), and then direct to the board. Besides that, it's got tons of stuff going on around it in the mix, so you may not get a good feel for how it sounds by itself. But its worth a shot. ;)

12. im about to actually go buy a woolly mammoth, but i use a warwick thumb bass (definitely active), thx for starting this little thread cuz now i may seriosuly have to rethink my options here...if i decide not to go w/ the WM, what would u guys recommend in its place...im looking for something similar to that grit that tim commerford cranks out of his stomp box (audioslave's "gasoline" is a great example-incredibly dirty but clean at the same time, like my drummers 85 mercedes that runs on diesel), i have gotten this sound on a WM using a passive bass, but on an active bass, maybe i need a different pedal (and which one)?

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    for the longest time ive used an mxr 70's distortion plus. great pedal, no bass...so i have to use and eq. i tried to have a buddy mod it for more bass, but the mod isnt that great so i might have him put it back to original just in a different case and keep using hte eq.

a lot of people like those keeley modded rats....

and timmy c uses an ashdown abm 500 that is custom built to have him crank the input gain and the valve knob all night for dirt, dirt dirt. hope that helps.

14. i've never heard keeley's rat mod...ill have to check it out

i knew about the abm500, but he didnt get that until recently, for the longest time he used a pretty complicated ampeg svt-2 pro setup (one head for clean, dirty, and REAL dirty, clean got an 8x10, the other 2 got 4x10 cabs)...hopefully that keeley mod works or something similar

thx

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I kinda like the RAT, a Big Muff sounds cool to me and I love the Boss Hyperfuzz.
    Do you have any soundclips of what you get out of it ?

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Just this one:

Discipline

17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've asked this Q before, but I seem to be in the company of Mammoth experts here, so I'll try again: Do you think that the bass sound on "Mescalero" by ZZ Top is a Woolly Mammoth? It's maybe the most incredibly distorted bass I've heard where you could still hear the notes.

18. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    i suspect that the reason for all this is that the circuit is rather similar to that of the original fuzz - the fuzz face. the fuzz face had a LOW impedance input which is generaly undisirable in a pedal as it rolls off high end. however, on a fuzz this has a smoothing effect. an active bass is capable of putting out the necessary juice for the low-impedance stage and therefore does not sound as good.

maybe if you roll off highs on your active bass or with an eq pedal you will get better results.

19. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I know that most people seem to thing that the Mammoth sounds bad with active basses, I was just wondering how bad?

Just bad in comparison to passives?
    Just bad in comparison to other fuzz units?
    Unusably bad?

Anyone with an active bass recommend it at all?

--
    Dave

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I thought it was unusably bad on active bass, just sounded like it was overloaded. Tried it on a passive bass and it sounded fine (if not the sound I was looking for!)