Wooly Mammoth Bass fuzz on an Ibanez SRX500?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the_luke, Sep 1, 2005.

1. the_luke

Jul 3, 2005

I had almost decided to buy a Zvex Wooly Mammoth, and then I discovered the issues with active basses. Apparently it works fine on passive basses.

My point of ignorance is that I have an Ibanez SRX500 which has passive humbucking pickups, but active EQ. Does that mean it falls on the side of workable (with maybe the volume rolled off) or will it act like an active bass with respect to the fuzz?

By the way, if the problem is input gain into the mammoth, why don't people just use the bass' onboard volume or a volume pedal to correct the problem?

Please help. :)
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've read about this too.

There's got to be a simple, passive circuit that would make an active bass look exactly like a passive, when 'looking into its output terminal'.

I would think that a simple resistive pad would do the trick, but if some exotic pedal is so eccentric that it wants to see a little inductance or low-Q resonance or something, there'd always be some simple 'black box' equivalent, I'd think!

Hm. Well, anyway... Those Wooly Mammoths sound so killer to me!

3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't know that the active issue is quite as bad as I've seen folks make it out to be... at least on my basses (most of which I can switch between active and passive) I don't notice a dramatic difference with the Mammoth. There's some difference, and even Zachary Vex acknowledges it -- chalking it up to an impedance issue -- but IME the Mammoth sounds pretty good even with active instruments. Could be my preamps (Aguilar and Sadowsky on-boards) combined with the generally-mild settings I use, but I say go for it anyway!

Worst case scenario... just get someone to install a pre-amp bypass switch in yout bass... best of both worlds! :D
  4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I have one and it works fine with my G&L L2000 in active mode. However the L2k's pickups are insanely high output to begin with, which could make a big difference. Awesome fuzz but try it out if you can first...It's not for the faint of heart. :D
  5. There is an easy mod to do to make any circuit adaptable to the active signal. It is by placing a transformer before the effect (use only primary winding).