wooo! first gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Casey C., Aug 17, 2003.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Quite one it was. I wasn't too nervous, but I ran into one major problem. I FORGOT A POWER CORD TO THE PA. It was plugged in to a power strip in my garage and we grabbed a different strip but we forgot the cords that were plugged into it. I called my parents an hour before we went on (cause they were coming anyways). and they showed up like 10 mins before. We got our sound check in because I used my cord from my amp so I waited for the cord and rushed inside and we kicked arse. I pulled off my solo, which transist between two songs, perfectly. We opened a fest for a bunch of punk bands. We are more hard rock. We didn't fit in at all... lol. After our set (a whole half hour, lol) we rushed to get cleaned up and we were letting the other bands use our PA and some mics. BIG mistake. First off, we had to drive an hour to get to this gig. We played the least. and it was a benefit so we didn't make out for our pa that we are renting.

During the middle of the 3 bands set, it started raining. Dun Dah dun! We pulled the plug on it right after the third band. They had another PA for DJing in between sets so they used that. I felt like an arsehole but things had to be done considering our mics were getting disease on them (should of seem those punks spitting all over the mics, disgusting.)

The sad thing was that our equipment just totally OWNED everyone elses. The other bands shared a 4 piece tama set that looked sad and almost fell over every 2 seconds.

Things learn from the first gig:
    1. Make sure you have EVERYTHING
    2. Don't let other people use your mics unless you know you can clean them.
    3. Have a way to PROPERLY cover your equipment incase of the elements
  2. 4. Make sure the drummer is hearing you! :)
  3. Sounds like you had fun & learned lots from your first gig.:cool:
  4. Man...I can't wait to gig:)

But I'm wish you on sharing a mic thing...since it's so close to the mouth and stuff...It'd be like sharing a retainer:meh:

Good times man:)
  5. Congrats great experence for you.
    Hope you learned a lot
    Its sound like a lot of gigs myself (and im sure a lot of the members here) have gone through
    Dont let it discourage you
    If thats all that happened your lucky
    But again congrats and keep playing
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yeah mics can be disgusting, and I really don't like sharing. Nothing worse is coming up to a mic and smelling someones dinner or unbrushed teeth. GROSS!

Bring a windscreen. Once of those foam thingys that you can put on a mic. Whether you share a mic or not, the windscreen will protect the mic from spit and other oral emissions. They're relatively cheap so you can throw em away when they get gross. You can also wash the things if you had to.