Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooo Woooo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fenderjazz68, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Ok, so about a day or two ago I was watching a band play and the bass player was adding these "wooo wooo" sounds into the song. I've heard players do it before but I can't figure out what notes they play to make it happen...

It seems to be a chord that shifts down a half step then back up a half.

He was doing it up past the 12th fret position. I know the description is somewhat vague... :rolleyes: I will try to find an example of someone playing it. A possible example is on American Idol, the bass player on there would use it from time to time.

2. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    Sounds like you're describing a seventh chord double stop, an old bass player gimmick. To pull it off, you hit a low note, preferably the open E or A string, and hit a double stop high up on the neck, which you then slide down a half step, then slide back up into starting position. For example, try this:

play an open A, then play the notes C# and G, at the 11th and 12 frets of your D and G strings, simultaneously. Quickly slide both notes of this double stop down a half step, then back up to where you started. This should give you the effect you're describing. Either that, or I just spent a lot of pixels describing something completely unrelated to what you're looking for.

3. Sounds about right. Play the 3rd and the dom 7th at the same time an octave up. (Ok that means the 10th and the 7th). Doesn't matter which note is on top actually.

On an E, you can hit the G# over the D by the 12th fret, or go way up and hit the D over the G# approaching the 20th fret.

You actually start it a 1/2 step down and slide up to those notes.

Note you're playing both notes at the same time, called a double stop.

Randy

4. Thanks for the info! :hyper:

I'll try it when I get home today. It sounds so cool, I need to add it (tastefully) from time to time.

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Id like to hear what this sounds like actually..