Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woooo got my amp back

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Got my amp back from the tech, and its sounding sweet sofar :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :D

Altho, i opened it up, and the balanced 12AX7 is in the pre section and theres a high gain 12AX7 in the driver section (i made small markings with a glass pen)

Is it ok just to swap these 2 around again?

I know theres a balance control for the phase inverter, but, i dont know if that'd need re-doing after swapping the 2 pre valves (well, one pre one driver)

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The balance could be off a bit if you swapped another tube for the one that was in the balance stage when it was adjusted, assuming it was right before swapping, which it should be. Tubes differ, and the control is for adjusting out the differences.

3. does it matter that much? i swapped them round anyway because nobody answered :s

It seems to be only to stop distortion, and there isnt any there that shouldnt be (it seems)

However, ive just been playing it with my 215, hoooooollllllyyyyy ****!

This is sounding sweet as hell!!! :D :D

It really pur's now! . . . who am i kidding, its an SVT, it growls :cool:

Unrelated note, at first i was worried because it was sounding really quiet with my BTB (it was at full volume and the room was only shaking a little), and i swapped over to play with my EDA which has some brand-spanking new strings on it, and i about blew the cab through the wall! I take the batteries in my BTB are going

New strings, new valves, its just right :D :D :D

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Now get yourself into a band and you'll be set! :D ;) :bassist:

5. Im in one, its just not very good, and i have no need to slay the guitarists 1x12 combo this badly :D

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Fair enough... I will revise...

Now get yourself into a GOOD band and you'll be set! :D ;) :bassist:

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You want the balanced 12ax7 in the driver/phase inverter. It should give you much more sustain when the amp is cranked.

8. Yeah, im aware of the benifits, i was just unsure if it would need the balance control altered, but it doesnt seem that important :)