Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooooohoooo, Just Pulled Trigger on G&L L-2500 USA!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all,

I've been looking into getting another 5 string, but didn't want to loose that P-bass look, feel and tone. I also wanted a bit more versatility than my P had to offer (no active pre or pups). I just made what I thought was a good deal. I just traded my nice american P (link here--> Bye Bye P :-( ) for this G&L L-2500 USA (link here---> G&L L-2500 ). Cost me my P plus $300.

I played a 2500 years ago and loved it, but couldn't afford it then. So did I do the right thing??? It's done so I'll have to live with it. I did this with Bass Palace (Bob). Seemed like they had reasonable prices and nice stuff. My biggest question, was this a fair deal? Thanks guys!

Actual pic of the one I'm getting. Oh and those are reflections of lights on it, not scratches or gouges..
    [​IMG]

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like a reasonable deal, the L-2500 is a great bass. Tip: to really hear it at it's best, install a means of bypassing the pots (Volume, Bass, Treble)...I had a tech do this by replacing the Volumne pot with a push-pull, where 'pull' would send the signal straight from the pups to the output jack (going thru the switches only along the way). You could also do this with a separate mini-toggle. Really opens up the sound, esp in series mode.

3. Quadzilla

Wow, I love to find somebody local who could do this or a good tutorial (wiring pictures or schematic). I'm pretty good with a soldering gun and also have a buddy who repaired camcorders, vcrs, tvs for over 10 yrs who would do it for me if we just had the info...

I'm glad that you think it was a fair deal. Hoping others will chime in. Also interest in knob setting for classic and newer harder rock.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I had to think about this one for awhile. Yeah I think you got a pretty good deal. G&L are pretty high price basses. Fender seems to discontinue a lot of models, so there price goes down. That is how I got my fender Hot Rod USA- less than $700.

Your thread kind of makes me wonder if I would do the same thing.

I have a Truibute L-2500 and so far it has replaced my Fender at this point. And I traded: A fender MIM Nashville power tele, Alvarez tele, and a Squire P-Bass special + $32. And I havn't regreted it yet.

so yes I think you got a good deal.

5. Quadzilla

Seems like the general concensous is that I did ok. Not the deal of the century, but fair! I can't wait to get it and play it! Any string recommondations?

6. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I'm going to put DR- Nickel Lo Rider strings on my Tribute. I put them on my fender and love the way they feel and sound.

Don't feel bad I lost two guitars and a bass for my truibute.

I only got 80 bucks for my squire that i put 79 dollar lace sensor pickups in.

What was really sad is the guy sold my Fender tele on ebay and got 500 something for it. The resale I got for it was $350 The bass was 559.00

7. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I use TI powerbass strings on my L-2000s. They really compliment the MFD pickups in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Chris

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Ditto.

TI Powerbass strings on my double 'bucker G&L's.

9. Quadzilla

Wow, I just found out on another forum that the flamed maple on my 2500 was an option. A $550 option to be exact! Woo fricken hoo! Looks like my deal just even better! :hyper: :bassist: