Wooooohoooo, Just Pulled Trigger on G&L L-2500 USA!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all,

I've been looking into getting another 5 string, but didn't want to loose that P-bass look, feel and tone. I also wanted a bit more versatility than my P had to offer (no active pre or pups). I just made what I thought was a good deal. I just traded my nice american P (link here--> Bye Bye P :-( ) for this G&L L-2500 USA (link here---> G&L L-2500 ). Cost me my P plus $300.

I played a 2500 years ago and loved it, but couldn't afford it then. So did I do the right thing??? It's done so I'll have to live with it. I did this with Bass Palace (Bob). Seemed like they had reasonable prices and nice stuff. My biggest question, was this a fair deal? Thanks guys!

Actual pic of the one I'm getting. Oh and those are reflections of lights on it, not scratches or gouges..
  2. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like a reasonable deal, the L-2500 is a great bass. Tip: to really hear it at it's best, install a means of bypassing the pots (Volume, Bass, Treble)...I had a tech do this by replacing the Volumne pot with a push-pull, where 'pull' would send the signal straight from the pups to the output jack (going thru the switches only along the way). You could also do this with a separate mini-toggle. Really opens up the sound, esp in series mode.
  3. Quadzilla

Wow, I love to find somebody local who could do this or a good tutorial (wiring pictures or schematic). I'm pretty good with a soldering gun and also have a buddy who repaired camcorders, vcrs, tvs for over 10 yrs who would do it for me if we just had the info...

I'm glad that you think it was a fair deal. Hoping others will chime in. Also interest in knob setting for classic and newer harder rock.
  4. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I had to think about this one for awhile. Yeah I think you got a pretty good deal. G&L are pretty high price basses. Fender seems to discontinue a lot of models, so there price goes down. That is how I got my fender Hot Rod USA- less than $700.

Your thread kind of makes me wonder if I would do the same thing.

I have a Truibute L-2500 and so far it has replaced my Fender at this point. And I traded: A fender MIM Nashville power tele, Alvarez tele, and a Squire P-Bass special + $32. And I havn't regreted it yet.

so yes I think you got a good deal.
  5. Quadzilla

Seems like the general concensous is that I did ok. Not the deal of the century, but fair! I can't wait to get it and play it! Any string recommondations?
  6. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I'm going to put DR- Nickel Lo Rider strings on my Tribute. I put them on my fender and love the way they feel and sound.

Don't feel bad I lost two guitars and a bass for my truibute.

I only got 80 bucks for my squire that i put 79 dollar lace sensor pickups in.

What was really sad is the guy sold my Fender tele on ebay and got 500 something for it. The resale I got for it was $350 The bass was 559.00
  7. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I use TI powerbass strings on my L-2000s. They really compliment the MFD pickups in my opinion.

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002

TI Powerbass strings on my double 'bucker G&L's.
  9. Quadzilla

Wow, I just found out on another forum that the flamed maple on my 2500 was an option. A $550 option to be exact! Woo fricken hoo! Looks like my deal just even better! :hyper: :bassist: