Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooooohooooo - Movin' to Milwaukee (Or: I'm working at Harley)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Aug 27, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Or as the Iroquois say, "The Good Land".

After a very depressing six-month lag time of working two part time jobs and 11 hours a day, I finally got my big-boy post college job working at Harley-Davidson in Miwaukee. (I won't be working at the plant, but at the Product Development Center.)

This is super exciting for me. I'll be moving out of my house (and away from the parents) and into my own apartment up in Milwaukee, which is gonna be a whole lot of fun. After looking at the rent prices in and around Chicago, and then looking at Mil. and it's surrounding areas, it's a relief to see how cheap rent is. :cool:

My girlfriend got her first real job in Milwaukee too, which is very conducive to our plans of getting hitched. I'll also be around some of my old friends from UW-Green Bay, where I did most of my undergrad work. And, I'll be able to keep one of my bands going!

[Mary Tyler Moore]
    I'm gonna make it after all!
    [/Mary Tyler Moore]

2. At the place on Vliet? Congratulations!

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    No offense to you (or other Harley people), but the only Harley I like is that new V-Rod. The rest are just bleah... all sound the same, and you can only look at so many before they look the same. All IMO, of course. I like my Hondas (Gimme that V6 Goldwing!! and/or a CBR).
    But, none the less, congrats are in order. Good to see fellow low-enders movin' on up in the world :). Hope you love it, and I hope it gives you much enjoyment!

-Ray

4. You mean:
    [Laverne And Shirley]
    Give us any chance we'll take it
    Give us any rule we'll break it
    We're gonna make our dreams come true
    [/Laverne And Shirley]

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Congrats!

Can you bring home a Road King Custom and give it to me?

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    [​IMG]

A Road King? Sorry, I've got Mesa-boogie-guitar-amps-on-the-brain syndrome...

Congrats on the new job!

P@

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    What you lose in rent you'll more than make up for in taxes. Welcome back to Wisconsin.

8. Welcome to the family! I sell H-D's for a living, best product in the world! The all Harley's sound the same comment is kind of amusing, because a stock Harley sounds about like any other brand in it's stock form. Go ahead and buy the honda, I get people trying to trade them in all the time. To each his own, I'll keep my Road King.

Hey PM, been awhile.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's the worst contratulatory post I've ever seen.

Congrats!

brad cook

10. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

Welcome Brother !!!!
    As earlier stated , taxes will kill you here , and the music scene is so so .
    Check out www.milwaukeerocks.com
    A couple of pretty good gear shops . If you need specifics PM me .
    Good lick with the HOGS !!!

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very cool Michael! How did you get the job?

Any idea what they are going to have you working on right away?

-Mike

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I wasn't aware that the taxes were appreciably greater than what I've had to pay in Illinois, but oh well. The man's gonna get ya any way you turn. :D

MJ5150- Got the job through Milwaukeejobs.com. It's a pretty sweet site if you're looking for work in the greater Milwaukee area. I'll be in their Product Development Center (hush hush) working in their NVH department. (edit: Noise, Vibration, and Harshness for the non-geeky.) I'll be working with the drive-by noise tests, vibration tests, troubleshooting equipment, etc. They have a HUGE facility for all these different tests, and it should be a gas to play with all the gizmos they have there.

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    ..............I must have misunderstood what his new job was :confused:

14. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Now, in your best Bob Dylan voice:

"Ya gotta SERVE somebody."

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is there any hog flapping involved?

brad cook

16. Gecko 5

The taxes will for the most part get you if you ever decide to buy a house here , but it sounds like that may be a while . so you should be okay . Property taxes are high .
    You are probably used to snow .
    You are not one of "them" are you ?
    You know , a Bears fan ? :spit:
    You might want to go incognito .

17. Gecko 5

If you need any info on the city , feel free to PM me .

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I proudly displayed my navy blue and orange when I lived in Green Bay - ain't gonna be no different while I'm living in Beertown. And when I'm not flying Bears colors, I'll be showing my Cubbie blue. And when I'm not doing that... well, it'll probably be hockey season, and the best Milwaukee can do for that is the Admirals, and they're not pro. So nobody will care about my Blackhawks jersey. :D

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very cool. Maybe you can drop by my friends house and help him quiet down his obnoxiously loud Harley?? :D

-Mike