Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

woooooooohoooooooooo new Dream Theater cd

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Nov 11, 2003.

1. this thing is amazing

if you like metal, get it now

if you like prog, get it now

its assuredly one of their heavier cds (which makes sense, they said it was inspired by classic metal like metallica's old stuff etc and you can definitely hear it)

as for my quicky review:

outstanding lyrics, some of the best writing in a long while.

the songs are nice and long, and oh so good

and finally John Myung got his bass a little louder in the mix, and boy does it sound good

the drums are incredible, some of mike's best work to date imo

the only thing i miss is Jordans keyboard heavy stuff from 6DoiT. hes definitely still here, but not quite as prominent as the last time.

all in all a great cd by far

EDIT: HA roboto :spit: :p

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just started listening - I'll get back to you when I've finished.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

sounds like SOMEBODY lost their Thesaurus :p

4. :p well im in a state of euphoria right now, forgive me

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yep, have to agree, Train of Thought RULES! I love it so much! Standouts are This Dying Soul, Stream of Consciousness and ITNOG, and the rest are still awesome. Definitely $18 :)eek: ) well spent!:bassist:

I love the heavy feel, I'm a fan of DT balls and chunk, and this CD is perfect for me! And amazingly, my mom loved it too!:D

I'll be listening to this one for a loooooong time.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    $18?! Better be a double CD for that kind of scratch.

I might have to go buy it.

(omg post 3000. :D)

7. heheh i got it at best buy for 13 :spit:

notice the UBER cool continuation of glass prison? (hint track two, also note the "dedicated to" under the lyrics for it in booklet)

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    AMAZING CD

:D

Get it now!

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    PS, it's $14 @ Walmart :cool:

:bassist:

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Loving it so far, it kicks a$$. Heavy, more metal, me like.

11. Yep this album rocks real hard.

Can't wait to see 'em live in January- I'm hoping they play ALL of "The Glass Prison" smack in the middle of "This Dying Soul"- that would be great!

12. that wouldnt exactly make much sense, seeing as how this dying soul is movements 4 and 5 of the glass prison (look at the lyrics sheet for both, you'll see wat i mean) but yeah, one right into another would be eargasmic :D

or better yet, the mirror first, seeing as how thats like the prequel to both (notice the first line of this dying soul...)

man oh man, i cant get enough of this cd

:bassist:

13. Maybe he's talking about $18 Canadian:confused: I got mine at Best Buy for $11.99 plus tax.

....and yes go buy it. It rules!

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Is "As I Am" in any way representative of the new album as a whole?

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess so, the album is straighter and heavier than the last albums.

16. In heavyness and darkness yeah, but the other songs totaly rip that song apart.

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I don't know where the new one lies for me in terms of my favorite DT albums yet, I just know it wouldn't be this one. Not a dis really, just can tell this ain't the one. I&W seems to be the long running #1 DT album for me, but I like a lot from Six Degrees as well.

What I noticed about the new one so far, is the stripped down and straightforward delivery. It's far more accessible in a short period of time than anything they've done before. It's more of a throwback to metal influences over prog I'd say. Lots of chunk, shred, and quickness.

I'm enjoying much of it so far though. Will it have lasting power in my player? remains to be seen...

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Yep, $18 Canadian. Sorry for the confusion, I say I'm from Canada in the location thingy... but whatever.

I just truly love this CD. I think I have a favorite, then I listen to the next song, and it's even better! I don't know how that works... but ToT is just plain... AWESOME!:D

I get this big s*** eating grin on my face every time that INCREDIBLY HUGE guitar riff kicks in at 10:03 of In The Name of God! That riff f***ing rules! Now THAT'S raw power right there!

Also what about the bit at 8:37? Man, I've never heard anything like that, even from Petrucci! Love the bass riff too!:bassist:

Which brings me to my next point: Myung is so... UP on this album! Incredible bass power!

Portnoy is also, IMO, better than EVER! He plays for the song a lot more, with delicious fills, especially in the quieter bits of songs! He sounds so powerful, just listen to the intro of This Dying Soul! In-freakin-credible!:bassist:

Man, this is a musical orgasm!:cool:

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

As far as heavyness, TDS and HTF absolutely tear it to shreds! Listen to the bridge in HTF, with the samples: That makes me want to cream my pants, hell, the entire song is incredible and incredibly heavy! You owe it to your ears to buy it!:D :bassist:

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know. "Chunk, shred and quickness" sound like a row of poor excuses for an album to me. I thought 90% of Six Degrees was garbage and I didn't think much of "As I Am" at all.

Maybe later.