Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woop got a Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big_d, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    just got my Digitech Whammy and it rocks haha, the octave up feaures are freaking cool can make some really funky sounds with them, the 1 octave down sounds really cool too, the 2 octave down not so much haha cant really hear much of anything with that, the dive bomb is pretty cool too alothough it goes 3 (yes thats right 3) octaves down haha, the detune feature is really cool and the Detune effect almost sounds beter that my Boss chorus pedal, the Harmonizer effects are really cool too now if i just knew what all of them meant haha. I'm using it with my bass right now and its reall cool with that so I may have to buy a cheap guitar/amp to mess around with it more to get its full potential out!!

PS> the tone suckage for not being true bypass is not that bad at all

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

Dude, there was like, 1 period in that whole paragraph.

Anyways, yes, the Whammy is hella fun. If you want some tunes to play on it, typically by Tool, tell me and i'll reccomend you some.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm prolly gonna pick up a Whammy in the next few weeks--I'd love to hear some suggestions for songs with it, Petary.

Big_d, which Whammy did you get? Whammy 4?

-Dash

4. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004

Yeah i got the whammy 4,

oh and id love some songs to learn that use it

haha and about the period thing yeah i was excited haha here i'll make up for it ........................................... that good haha

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Very good Big_d. :cool:

Here are my personal favorite songs with Whammy in them.

ALL BY TOOL:
    -Eulogy (5th up harmony in the intro)
    -Third Eye (Oct up in the chorus)
    -Schism *MY PERSONAL FAVORITE* (What you do on this crazy mofo is you put delay on (forgot the exact time, I just tap tempo it up,) put on some distortion, and have your Whammy set on the Oct up with the toe down setting. Hit the notes with your left hand, swell your volume knob with your right hand, and push the Whammy with your foot for every note you hit, so it sounds like you're sliding into the note. Rather difficult)
    -Lateralus (In the orgasmic outro, you use the Oct up with the toe down setting to do some "Whammy slides" as I like to call them.)
    -Disposition (You gotta do some fancy 5th/7th up harmony work on this song. If you really want to know how to play it, dig up my tab in the Tablature forum.)

FEWF. :D

6. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    are those all with the bass? (probably a stupid question but i gotta ask anyway haha)

ohh and what do all the numbers on the harmonizer mean I know it says in the owner manuel but it doesnt really give that good of a description, haha can you tell how much theroy i know

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, all bass. If you want guitar songs too, you can PM me and i'll send you some.

The numbers mean what they say. The down arrow indicates that it will play that harmony below the note you're playing, and the up arrow indicates that it will play that harmony above the note you're playing. For example, if you're playing a D and you have it on the 5th^, you'll here a D and an A, which is a D5, or more commonly known as a power chord. With the 7th up, you'll hear a D and a C. The 3rd^ and b3rd^ is cool too because you can move the treadle between major third and minor third.

8. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Uhm, I think it should be the 5th/1octUp function, which is not allowed in the WH-4.

9. Petary791 tabbed out disposition for whammy and delay.. sounds perfect.. he has the sound clip recorded too... ill let him post it if he liked to, i dont want to link out his myspace with out his permission..

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, BeyondHairy is right. I figured it out with the 5th/7th up setting. It's not the same thing that JC does, but for those people that don't feel like spending more than $200, it works.

11. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004

guess its gonna take some practice/learning to be able to play actual stuff with the harmony thing cause everytime i try somthing other than maybe open strings it sounds like ass, well other that the Octave up/down harmony that **** sounds cool damn now i gotta go play with it somemore