Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woot! We got lots of brown recluses! I thinkz0r...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya anyways. I was hosing down the patio this morning, and I took the tables and chairs out to the grass to be hosed off.

As I am hosing them off, little brown spiders come out, and they have little white spots on their backs... There were probably 10+ little ones that I saw, and 4 big ones. They looked like brown black widows with white spots...

Are these recluses?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    [​IMG]

this is what i saw...

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Looks like one to me:
    (from google) -
    [​IMG]

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    should i call pest control?

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Whatever you do don't get bit by one. The venom from those things causes necrosis, which is basically your flesh rotting away. Recluses are called that because they are reclusive. They like dark, quiet places where they won't be bothered. If you use your patio often enough the spiders will not stick around.

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    those things scare the hell out of me..:(
    I called pest control when I saw a spider on my wall that loked freaky and my friend got pissed at me.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    We do not use it often at all. They get up inside the legs of the chairs and other little cracks... its nasty.

8. One Tip:

Do Not Goto Sleep.:)

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Try to get bit by one. If necrosis occurs, they probably are recluses.

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    thats why i was worried, because i saw that thread when it was posted and i was like... crap! i hope i dont run into any... and low and behold...

12. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Yep, that's a recluse, or "fiddleback". Problem is, if you're close enough to see the fiddle, you're too close. They love the indoors, contrary to what someone posted about woodpiles, etc. (that sounds more like the Black Widow). I've killed three in my house in two years. As a family practice doc here in Texas, I see probably 6 to 12 such bites yearly. So far no one has required skin grafting, but they often get infected with Staphylococcus or Mycobacteria (a cousin to the Leprosy germ). Usually, antibiotics are all that's required.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My neighbor got bit by one. Whole arm swelled up like a mother ****er and she had to pay a lot of $ to get fixed.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well - that doesn't look like a brown Black Widow with white spots! ;) The tell-tale sign is that violin shape on the back.

There are spiders that look like more like Black Widows, shiny and everything, but are brown or deep red and don't have the hourglass on the belly, they aren't that poisonous.

15. yea those things are everywhere around here.I hate those f-in things.just the other day I found one in a glass measuring cup :eek: I didn't kill it I just kind of flipped the cup over in the sink and ran some water to wash it down the sink...about a hour later there it was in the sink trying to get out,,I then killed it..I know of three people who have been bitten by those nasty things..Black widows are found just about under everything here too.///and you know that they come out at night when you are asleep and probably have walked across your face or other body parts.. one time in Mexico I was sleeping and I felt something in my arm pit I woke up suddenly to find a giant cockroach sucking on my sweaty arm pit.:bassist: :meh:

16. lesson here? DONT GO TO MEXICO! :p

anyways, i just killed a big ass spider in my room. i had just got out the shower and i bent down to pick up dirty clothes and saw something shoot across my carpet. i looked and saw this huge brown spider heading for MY FERRETS CAGE!!! I went on the offensive then (YOU DONT MESS WITH MY FERRET BIATCH) and beat the poo out of it with a shoe. after i killed it i got some tissue and got it up and looked closely at it and its mostly brown with like black lines running down its head(?) and abdomen. anyone know what kind this is and if its dangerous/poisonous.

better description of it:
    long thick legs
    mostly brown (like the legs of the one MM posted)
    black stripes down its head abdomen

oh yeah, i live in the south eastern united states (SC to be specific)

i dunno bout goin to bed now :(

17. Holy crap, Big spiders suck

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hah! LOL:D :D

19. Take a trip to the drugstore (or grocery) and purchase a bottle of mint extract. Also, get yourself a small spray bottle. Mix 6 parts water to one part extract in the sparay bottle, then spray areas where spiders are apt to nest (or hang out). Spiders do not like mint, and will quickly vacate their homes when sprayed. The mint scent lingers for some time, keeping spiders away. Re-spray if needed. Increase mint strength if needed.

PS Works for many other bugs as well.

Downside - You may find many cats hanging out where the spiders used to. (...and I don't mean the jazz kind of cats) ;)

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's what Snopes had to say about those alleged brown recluse spider bit pictures that have made the rounds on the net:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/brownrecluse.asp

chill, ese.

brad cook