Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wooten-amazing grace

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by davs911, Feb 13, 2003.

1. davs911

davs911

Dec 21, 2002
    anyone know where i can get musical notation form of vic's version of amazing grace? I am old school and read music not tab

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Good for you, tabs are stinky.

I believe it was in an issue of bass player...I did a very brief search for one but couldn't find it, I would check over there .

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ahem - I think you'll find this is the tabs forum. If you don't want tabs either don your asbestos underwear or ask elsewhere ;)

Wulf

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A lot of us feel that just having a Tabs forum makes us look bad :rolleyes: - but Paul did explain that there are copyright issues with hosting transcriptions/sheet music etc. - unless it is actually "owned" by the poster.

So Vic would be making money from sheet music of his compositions/arrangements but not anything posted on a web site and he should, as a musician, be able to protect his source of income!

But Tabs are so innaccurate, that they are not covered by copyright! ;)

5. davs911

davs911

Dec 21, 2002
    wrong robot-bass player mag had a "condensed" version. Wulf-I'll get out of here if u have a url to point me to.. Oh BTW you make me feel old at 31. Bruce-I am totally willing to pay!

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't have a URL to point you towards but it's a song I'm familar with in lots of forms - it's one of the small pool of hymns I sometimes use when leading worship at my church, and I like to put a few different spins on it.

Recently my band, Lovesjones did a gig there and we were planning to finish on 'Amazing Grace' (didn't happen in the end due to time - we went out on Stevie Wonder's 'I Believe (When I Fall in Love)' instead....) and I was working on some more ideas.

I've heard Wooten's version and enjoyed it immensely but didn't want to just work on a clone version. What I did practise, inspired by what he did, is playing the melody entirely with natural harmonics. I wrote it out and also wrote out the harmonics available on each string (clue - you need to go up to the harmonic just above the third fret).

A little bit of practise later, and I could carry it off, with the benefit that this was my sound, not just an attempt to copy Vic (the merits of that approach depend, of course, on what you're trying to achieve). Doing the work also means that I've got a better grip on using those harmonics.

If you want to work out exactly what Vic is doing but don't have any luck finding help, a transcription program, like Transcribe! might be a useful tool - I'm a happy user of that, and have found it invaluable in figuring things out.

My comment on the appropriateness of the forum is simply that disparaging tabs is actively discouraged. If you want to learn to play it but definitely don't want tabs, I'd guess that General Instruction would be a better bet.

Wulf