1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wooten bass mystery...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Right, this is one for the Wooten geeks out there, er, that'll be me then; I have a quick question for anyone who was at the recording of the Drummers Collective 2002 DVD - because when Wooten does his cool jam with Steve Smith, "Double Espresso", he's playing his Yin Yang Fodera for the whole thing - until the end when he's suddenly playing his Fodera tenor bass - what the heck is that all about? I'm just guessing but they must have done two attempts at this tune because the majority of it is improvised - and I think they obviously did another version of it and liked the end on the second one better - then used it.

I'm just wishing they had stuck the other one in as a bonus feature on the second disc - as it's a bit irritating as not only does Vic do some cool stuff, as ever, but the quick edit makes him look like David Blaine gave him a few tips on creating the perfect illusion...

Info and comments please...

M

2. Tsk - Fodera eh? (he he) Only kidding - thanks Kong - that explains a lot - you still taking lessons with Matt G?

Cheers

M

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Stuff like that happens and sometimes it can be pretty hard to track down. I did a gig last Christmas going directly into a pretty crappy PA and the bass signal kept dropping out. It seemed like a dodgy lead but I had similar problems with other leads as well. I think I may have changed the battery after the gig, just in case, but it might just have been the PA channel I was plugged into.

I also remember attending a Steve Lawson / Michael Manring clinic at the Bass Centre in London and Michael's rig choked and died halfway through the first song. A quick change to Steve's rig and he was back in business - I can't remember what the cause was but I think it might have been something not securely plugged in round the back.

Mind you, if I'd been cutting together the DVD, I think I would have tried to drop in a scene of Victor putting down one bass or picking up the other, assuming there was a suitable drum solo where the switch could have happened.

Wulf

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    That always bothered me, I'm glad there's at least a somewhat reasonable excuse, sort of.