1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wooten from 1 to 10

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Orange

5.2%
  2. Tire

1.7%
  3. Stapler

2.3%
  4. Leaf

2.3%
  5. Pudding

10.5%
  6. Adverb

2.3%
  7. Cat 5e

10.5%
  8. Windows

16.9%
  9. Raspberry

21.5%
  10. Lobster

26.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, I know there are a lot of differing opinions of Victor Wooten around here. And I know that he's been brought up and argued about a million times, but I really want to know the general opinions of him once and for all. I figured instead of just asking you, I could do this poll and spare us the endless arguments and head-butting that usually don't have any real closure.
    Rate him from 1 to 10 (10 being the best). This goes for all catagories; technical skill, composing, grooving, fretted/fretless. Just your personal overall opinion of Victor as a musician. I'm curious how the results will be...

edit--I went with 9. The only thing keeping him from a 10 IMO is that his solos can be a bit self-indulgent and boring after hearing enough of his stuff.

2. As a player, Victor impresses the hell out of me, but I'm not much into his writing. I'd say I like him better with the Flecktones than as a solo artist.

Paul Mac

3. ^Me too, definitely. Flecktones are awesome. There's only a few of his solo songs that I can really get into (and Soul Circus really disappointed me, I never regretted an album purchase so much before)

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I think he is a great technical musician that can do some pretty hot ****. But, I'm just not a fan of the actual music he plays, I just don't dig fusiony music, it leaves me cold emotionally for some reason. But my opion of the "style" of music doesn't take away from my opion of his skills. Also I think rating and categorizing someone's musical ability is lame and pointless; you either like what he does or you don’t, in varying degrees. So I will forgo yer poll, thank you very much.:spit:

5. ^Wouldn't it have been easier to just not post anything?

6. i'm not afraid to give him a ten...I think that as many recording where he has wanked there are just as many where he just plays the root notes, or an easy bass and tapped chord bassline. I think that bass on the whole can sound boring after 5-10 different solos, so i don't discredit wooten for that. I think that the solos that he does fits the song, and his solo pieces have a really nice flow, like his version of norwiegian wood. When i went to a Bela Fleck Concert, Vic only took two solos excluding his solo when he is the only guy on stage...he didn't play too much imo...i think he has a really good overall feel for bass.

7. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    9 because perfection is unattainable.

8. 8 because i'm not big into uber progressive technical crap. I've seen him live and he can play the crap out of that bass, but i personally like something with more space and groove. Plus a 10 is perfect and God is the only one who's that good.

9. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    I gave him a 1 because I cant stand his playing. I find his compositions to be maxed out on cheese. And sure he can wank it but that doesnt translate into good bass playing at all for me. But then again, I could care less about Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, and their ilk.

10. ^You know he can groove the hell out of any song right? Not all his bass playing is lightning fast solo wanking, he's an extremely talented musician and is very capable of playing nice tasteful grooves. Listen to his stuff with the Flecktones and you'll see what I mean. I've heard him go entire songs without wanking once:p!

11. he can have his opinion.. he rated him as a player like the poll asked, just gave an opinion about the style.

i also agree, i like hes a great musicians and bass player but the music he plays, while talented, is boring. That just my opinion, you dont have to agree with it.

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Best bassist to ever live.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

10 because no one is better as a player or artist. Plus he's a cool guy to hang out with and so are his brothers and friends

Rob

14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I find little to compare stylistically between these three players and have a great liking for Stu Hamms playing whereas both Billy and Victor leave me impressed but cold.

15. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Great bassist....technically has taken the bass to a new level, especially slap.....as a solo artist horrible!!!!!!I can't buy any more of his solo stuff, it's painul to listen to...3 or4

16. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Victor Wooten is a 10 at playing like Victor Wooten, and somewhat less when he is trying to play like someone else.

All music is subjective, therefore such ratings are not effective nor appropriate. Even if you could quantify all aspects of musicianship and apply them completely objectively (not possible), there would only be one best in the world. They would be the best for perhaps 15 minutes or so during part of one blistering set, then someone else would surpass them. They would never realize that they were on the top of the heap. Pretty sad really. Worrying about ratings like this are not productive. Play what you feel and appreciate Victor Wooten (or don't) on his own merits.

PS: I didn't vote in this poll.

17. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    He's a bass player. One of the best. His writing is awful. But he is a bassist. And therefore, he's a 10.

18. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    This poll is silly. I like the comment that he is the best Victor Wooten there is. I'm the best me. Jaco is the best Jaco. None of us are you.

I had the pleasure of meeting him and improvising on stage with him recently. It was a blast performing with him and a sincere pleasure meeting him.

He is a beautiful person with a lot to teach philosophically and a lot to say musically. And he is so generous in sharing it. His contributions to our instrument are tremendous. And he has created fabulous music. A hero and a great guy. He belongs with Jaco and Stanley and Marcus and the likes.

...and I really like him and appreciate his contributions.

Tom H.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Who is Victor Wooten?

20. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    He doesn't impress me in the slightest and i dont like slap or his music, he might have some skills though.. 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.