Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooten - Howe - Chambers - new CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 5, 2004.

1. Sorry if this has already been covered here in recent weeks - I'm still a bit of a newbie - but I am ashamed to say I downloaded most of the 'Extraction' CD as the imported version costs £20 ($40) and I already have a zillion power-trio CDs (I'm a Tribal Tech nut) and I just wanted to give VW some more props for another outstanding low end set. Howe is a bit of a noddle monster, but there's one lovely acoustic piece he plays that is just gorgeous.

One thing I have noticed with Wooten's EQ is that he seems to use a lot of compression but also gets a great fingerstyle sound that seems to be a the perfect blend of bridge and neck pickup. One of the other things I love that he's been doing more of is playing fretless 5 to get some lovely low end stuff happening - check out the last Flecktones album for that too - as well as the last track on VTT 2.

Overall though this album doens't have the same raw live feel that the Henderson/Smith trio - when's the studio set from VW due anyway? It's about time we got an update - the only thing I know is (when I met him) about three years back he said there was going to be some hip-hop stuff on there and some serious blowing as Yin Yang was about grooves first and solos second - whatever dude, just release the damn thing!

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Ha!
    I posted about this almost four months ago, and didn't get a single reply. Some very tasty playing by Victor.
    And the reason it may not have a raw live feel is because each part was added on separately (they sent the tapes to each other in the mail).

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hated that cd. I sounded very contrived and not organic. Too much pointless noodling for me.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I should listen again too, I might change my mind. I think I was in a minimalist sort of mood when I got that CD.

6. I kind of agree with you actually - I get the feeling with some of this stuff that the likes of VW are so good the tendancy is to record too much stuff, as writing a new 'tune' (if you can call them that) is so easy for him, thetrouble is for every one brialliant musical idea there are about 20 not so musical ideas. Sad though it is about Jaco's recorded output and the amount of crap that has been released (i.e. dodgy live recordings made when he was off his face on coke and booze) at least his studio works were of an exceptionally high standard - maybe Vic should chill a bit - cos even those Bass Extremes things can sound just too OTT. Still love his work with Bela though - I am HUGE Flecktones fan

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree, the Flecktones and Vic rule in that setting.

I know I'll get some grief as in: "who the hell are you to say this" but I feel that people sometimes lose sight of the experimental part of jazz. -Not to say that they are bad players or anything, just that they are experiencing a certain dimension of music and sort of sticking in that world. I was speaking about this very thing with a composer/musician friend last night. I think his ideas (basically what I wrote above) on the subject are brilliant.

8. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    I thought Wooten kept himself fairly well restrained on "Extraction" CD.

But there's definately something missing on that recording overal - it's called chemistry.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    that too.