Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooten multi-finger pop technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pdanko, Mar 21, 2005.

1. pdanko

pdanko

Mar 20, 2005
    I'm trying to figure out how Victor Wooten performs the multi-finger pops in his nausiatingly good slap vocabulary. Does anyone have any links/videos/etc that give a little insight. I'm just looking for a starting point for woodshedding.

Thanks!

2. pdanko

pdanko

Mar 20, 2005
    That is awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Great site BTW.

Thanks,

Danko

3. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hello everyone,

I have started in on learning the double thumb technique and I still have not decided if it is worth my time. I am already a strong musician but would like to expaned my slap vocabulary. But I was wondering if the bassists out there who have put in the time on the technique have found a very practical application for it or if they many use it for soloing or solo bass songs. I am really more interested in spending my time developing skills I will use in the band musical environment and while I think there is a great possibility of using double thumping for that I just wanted to see what other people have found who have learned the technique. I hope that all made sense. Thanks for the imput.

4. No probelm dude - glad you like the site too - thanks

M

5. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Good morning,

Well, I think I have the basics of the technique down and while my playing has been mostly solo with my drummer friend, I can see how I could incorporate this into a band setting.

First off, this sound is very funk oriented. If you play music in this genre, then go ahead. By all means, it can be used in other genre of music, but this really lends itself to that specific one.

I would generally use only the double thumb portion of this technique as it really helps minimize the effort to groove. To exercise this, try playing familar slap lines that require quick motions of the wrist with this technique. Once you have it down, you will find it doesn't take as much effort to play the same lines. While it will feel different (sometimes, it just feels good to use the extra effort and it gets you more into the music), it may just feel better to play it that way. Throw in the pluck like playing regular slap, and you have a very efficent technique.

I was never very quick at the traditional slap way of playing. Once I started learning and working with the double thumb + pluck technique, it really increased my speed.

I also do runs up and down the fretboard with the double thumb and it sounds pretty cool.

For a good demo of using the technique in a band setting, check out Wooten's Solo Bass Instruction video (VHS) as he plays in a band and he really (in my opinion anyway) grooves with it.

I'm learning the double plucking now as I would like to increase my speed and efficency.

Hope that helps.
    JB

6. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    That did help thanks for the imput

7. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Great, glad to help out.

Also, if you ever have to play lines that have you play something like quarter notes on AND (ie 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND), this technique makes them very easy to play.

You just mute on the down stroke, then play on the up and repeat.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy.
    JB

8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
  9. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Personally I think the double thump technique is a bit of a waste of time. I learnt it to a fairly competent degree and found that it didn't enhance my playing very much. I always popped deep notes for cool sound and find the 'standard' technique far preferable to DT. Also, if you are looking to play slap bass in a band, standard slap is likely to be far better than DT

10. pdanko

pdanko

Mar 20, 2005
    It seems that there are three different techniques here?

1) The slap-left hand hammer-pop
    2) Slap-pop1-pop2 such that you use multiple fingers on the right hand to pop (i.e. index and middle)
    3) Slap on a downstroke then pop on the upstroke with thumb only. Is this accurate? The first munkio video looks to demonstrate this, but I just may be missing another pop somewhere.