Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooten on "Classical Thump"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, May 4, 2002.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    alright, i just completely give up. what the hell is he doing on this track? i'm almost afraid to listen to it, it makes me feel so inadequate (shuddup, Chris :D). i think i can hear double-thumbing, freakish tap ability, open-hammer-plucking, and all manner of god-knows-what! help set my mind at ease and assist me in analysing some of these techniques :eek:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
  3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    thought i caught a bit of classical spice in there (now the name of the piece makes a bit more sense), but i wasn't sure. thanks, mate.

4. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    god that song is sick. that man is insanely fast.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know the first riff and I can do it double thump style...but after that one run down the neck I cut out....I'm currently focusing my efforts on learing jaco's Portrait of Tracy, which I now know all but the last harmonic.
    I never bothered giving that chart on wooten's page a look, cause I barred using tabs 3 1/2 years ago and I haven't looked at one since, don't want to start now.

classical thump is definatly a very humbling song....It showcases his double thumbing abilities with some tapping thrown in.

but don't get discouraged, when I first heard portrait of tracy, I nearly put my bass down and wept(not really but I was amazed) I didn't think it was possible, I was 100 times more baffled by it than I am by classical thump, but now I'm playing the thing, and apart from that last harmonic(which I know part of it) I got the rest of it down pretty well. if you concentrate on something for a little bit, locked doors open and you learn so much more....or you can just use tablature and impress your friends later :rolleyes: :D :( :oops:

6. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The classical thump transcribtion is in tab and notation format.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know, but I don't trust my eyes not to drift a little onto the tab bit, I saw it once and it is notation above tab, not the easiest thing to white out on a computer screen

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i actually have that sheet music... i think the tab is wrong though. He probably didn't bother to proofread it...

I was lucky enough to meet him at a show and ask him about that song.. he said that the theory behind it is really simple.. he's just noodling in GMajor and Bminor i believe... now the technique, that's amazing..

I too can figure out the first run when he plays down the G-major in 3 note patterns... but after that i get lost..

I really wish i could figure out the chorus to "more love" that song rocks... much better IMO.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you live in santa barbara...I live in ojai...thats like 30 minutes apart.
    cool
    more love is aweosme....I especially enjoy the version that the flecktones do on the album live art....they have a part where vic yells "we don't need no drums!" and then futureman cuts out then they say "we don't need no..." and the whole band cuts out leaving the audience to sing "la...la la la....la la la....la la la....etc"
    its great

10. hi
    i was just about to post a topic on this
    i need some counting techs to get like the second time through it (don;t hit me)

well its 0h5 etc etc line

i get it sounding liek this:
    dundun dundun dundun

when on the track it sounds
    dun dun dun dun dun dun

any tips?

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    The flecktones are coming to the Ventura theater pretty soon.. you gona check em out?

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    no way!....awesome....awesome awesome...I'm going to do everything in my power to see that show.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    for the double hits I just to open slap open slap spen slap
    as opposed to thumb down/up thumb down/up
    and then for the triplets I do
    Open hammer double thumb...etc.
    ya know?

14. Dude I know what you mean!!! At first, I used to think that he would be impossible to do. The whole art of learn how he is playing is to watch him play. I bought one of his videos, and I learn almost everything that he played. All you can do is watch his fingers drop down, it's all in his timing. For Victor, thats how the guy plays. He uses timing to simulate the fast triple pop motions heard in his songs. Dude, I feel your problems, I'm 16, and I started listening to the guy when I was 14. Now, I have what he is doing down pact. I think he made cclassical thump to how he developed as a player. So, as you get faster, you'll advance in the song to get the rest of it. Another thing is his bass. You'll never get his sound if you don't have his bass. I've tried the strings he uses and played a fodera bass too, and nI know that I got his sound on his bass. So don't worry about it, not only is it his style that makes him look good, it's his equiptment. My only advice to crack the song is, get one of his videos, you'll learn a bunch. It's well worth it.

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Classical thump was one of the first song by Victor I had heard.. It was a humbling experience... I thought I was pretty good... but i really felt like a crappy bass player when I heard Vic's stuff. Now i've been getting the double slap stuff down pretty good and I've been working hard on classical thump... but i don't have any sheet music i've been doing it all by ear so its been a bit slow...

I still think Vic is the man.. he has beast chops

16. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    how i love a good patronizing :D ya meant well, mate. thanks for the words of "inspiration".

17. Albemuth

Albemuth

Jan 13, 2002
    Press both G and D strings on the 9th fret (index finger) and lightly press G & D on the 13th (pinky).

I'm not sure if I explained this right, hope it helps...

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea, I got all of Portrait of tracy down now, and on top of that I've found 4 ways to hit that last harmonic, all of them are the same notes, and the onoly difference is the commonly acknowledged way(fret 9th harmonic 13th) is the hardest, and there are two others that are way easier....similary to the Ab harmonic that most people fret Eb on the A string and them uses their thumb up by the pickup....the other most noted method is fretting the Eb then doing the stretch to the 11th fret of A....both are totally acceptable, but the way I do it, and in a video I saw of jaco he did as well, is to fret B(on the A string) and then harmonic Eb(on the A) its about the same lenght of a stretch but its in a more accessible place than the 6-11th stretch.
    whew!

in my dive into Portrait of tracy I've learned more about harmonics than I could ever imagine, I've learned all about artifical harmonics, natural harmonics, harmonic half-tones, harmonic chords, and all sorts of other cool things. I love harmonics, they are sooo sweet, and with my new bass I can hit way more harmonics than ever before.

harmonics=great

19. Albemuth

Albemuth

Jan 13, 2002

have you heard "La Sagrada Familia" by Michael Manring? when you get to play that you'll know 10 times as much...