Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooten Style

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 14, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I am currently trying to learn how to play like wooten, the open hand pluck thingy-mabober. Any one got any advice, besides PARCTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE?

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I believe there are many books out there on Wooten's insane slap bass techniques, but, so I've been told, the best one by far is the one written by Wooten himself.

I have to admit, I've been tempted to work my behind off to get to grips with these techniques, but it inviolves more time on a daily basis than I can spare right now, like hours an hours, so I focus on other stuff and leave it luke warm :meh:

I do think though, that mastering this technique is really a case of developing the basics, in this case the up & downstroke of the thumb, and the "down thumb, up thumb, pluck" movement, then practicing it day-in, day-out until it's consistant and fluid, and creating your own licks using said technique.

All, easier said than done of course. No substitute for putting in the hours, as ever.

The "bass extremes" DVD with wooten and steve bailey is some great inspiration in this direction too, even tho you will be, as a recent copy of bass player mag mentioned, "still trying to cop his ten year old licks?" :rolleyes:

3. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Mod Edit Joe T.: Please read the CPU policy.

Please keep your product in your sponsored thread.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Not wanting to stir it up, but are we allowed to do this? Advertise in ordinary threads?

5. stick your playing hand out with stretched out fingers like you'er going to shake my hand. then do an open the door motion. then continue to rotate your hand in the open the door motion.

now apply your hand to your bass, or your thumb to the open e string and start open the door with your thumb making a solid thump on the e.

after you get this then move to the a.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    www.victorwooten.com

Select "Lessons"
    >Lesson #1 is "Open-Hammer Pluck_1"
    >>Lesson #2 is "Open-Hammer Pluck_2"

Advise starting very slow in order to build your muscle memory & coordination.

Stanley Clarke's "Lopsy Lu"(from his 2nd album) used the O-H-P...back in '74'75.
    Check it out.

7. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I am not sure how many people HAVEN'T gone there.

8. I can do the open-hammer-pluck thing ok, that's not really that hard when you're not going nuts with your left hand. But I can't do the double-thumb thing. I've tried a bunch of times and it just hurts my thumb-nail when I pull it back up. I guess my only advice would be practice. If you know how to do his technique in theory, then it's just a matter of getting your hands to do what your mind wants them to. The only advice anyone can give here is just practice.

9. Practice Practice Practice is the only way.

Utilize what Vic call's "economy of motion." That is, try to get the most sound out of the smallest physical motion.

Double-thumb lines that you would normally play fingerstyle until they sound clean.

It took me about 1 1/2 years of practicing before I felt anywhere near compitent at this style. Check out Vic's Bass Day DVD, and pick up his transcription book. Pick out a section you like and set the meternome slow.

10. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Which transcription book? There is a couple of them. I have the best of victor wooten. Is that the one? And as for the dvd, he has a Extreme Bass Solo or something like that.

11. That's the right book.
    The DVD is Live at Bass Day 1998