Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooten style

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by The Boyfriend, Dec 29, 2000.

1. The Boyfriend

The Boyfriend

Dec 28, 2000
    I've been doing alright with the Wooten stuff SO FAR>... I visited his site and picked up on some of his lessons... But still, I haven't seen him on tv or live or anything ever... I don't know how he slaps at that insane speed... I've tried slapping by alternating slaps between my thumb and ring finger or pinky, but I have a distinct feeling that Wooten doesn't do that... Can somebody tell me how Wooten acheives such speed with his slap? He climbs around and solos from string to string, and flies down scales and notes with slapping, and I can barely fathom his talent!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Victor sounds a note on both the down stroke and the up stroke of the thumb. He calls it double thumb technique. He also will strike the strings with the thumb and then uses a modified classical guitar technique to pluck the strings.
    But probably THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that Vic does is encourage each one to use his techniques as a basis for developing their own. Hope this helps.

Mike

3. The Boyfriend

The Boyfriend

Dec 28, 2000
    Thanks for the explanation!! I don't quite understand what you've told me fully, but I think it's just a matter of me trying it out and practicing it...

Would Stu Hamm use the same kind of technique? They all sound like they're playing a classical guitar when it's bass, like, enough high end that you can really hear the plucky sound of their playing... Maybe I didn't explain my thoughts too well on that one... But could possibly delve deeper into this "modified classical guitar technique of plucking the strings"? I've never taken classical guitar and I've never had a bass lesson with a teacher in my life... I can slap--- but I just don't have a clue how to pluck a classical guitar... I'm always afraid of breaking the strings... On a classical guitar... But... I want to know how to do this for bass! :)I hope I'm not being a bother asking...

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    In this style, the side of your thumb is used to pluck the bass note while the first, second and possibly third fingers are used to play the notes on the high strings. I do this often in my "Chordal Approach". To get a more in-depth explanation, with notation and real audio visit the lesson page of my website at http://www.michaeldimin.com. Check out the lessons entitled Chord Study 1,2 and 3. They are reprints from my lesson column in Bass Frontiers Magazine. If you still need more assistance, please post again

Mike

5. The Boyfriend

The Boyfriend

Dec 28, 2000
    ... .... Wow... Using your site and links from your site, I managed to learn more than I originally planned on learning... Those chords are gonna present a neat new aspect to my playing, and really impress my friends and jam buddies now!! Wowzers! Plus, the links to bassically.com were astounding... You are a King Among Men... I came back to this post not expecting much of an explanation, but thank you sooo much!!! MANNN!!! I'm gonna rock now!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I don't think my words properly express my gratitude towards your royal bass power!! There's nothing BASSic to you man! HAHAHAHAHHA!!! Ok, that was corny, but serious, you rule... I'm soooo not sarcastic right now... First of all, the chords... They rock... I'm gonna use them left and right and in stage band now.... Well, maybe not left and right, but occassionally... I hope I can utilize them as well as you do through practice... And the links to me to Ray Riendeau's lessons on bassically.net... And I was already doing the double pop, but I didn't quite realize it's full potential, and now I'll be slapping like a demon at tremendous speeds... I haven't even looked at your lessons on bassically.net yet, but mannn, am I eager to go here!!! What a day!! What a build for bass!! You deserve an award, if you haven't gotten one already, that recognizes your contribution to the development of the electric bass... I'm gonna come back here once in awhile and thank you more and tell you how I'm progressing! Unless you show some obvious discontent with that statement! Then I'll stop showing gratitude and just give you one more line of gratitude, telling you that I will be forever grateful to you! Wow... Just wow...