Wooten's double thump tecnhique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Mar 11, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    After watching the instructional video on google, i have been practicing this technique constantly. Does it tear anyone else's thumb up? It seams like you need a lot of power to go "through" the string and still get a good slap tone. :meh:
  2. trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    Well it basically just takes a ton of practice and eventually you thumb will turn into a big calace nub. Then it won't hurt anymore.
  3. OUCH!!!! The back of the thumb near the outside at the nail... OUCH!!!! So, to sum it up.... OUCH!!!!

Yes. I even posted a question to Victor via his website... (no, no response... that would be pretty incredible, though...) asking if the pain meant I was doing it wrong or if I just needed to suffer for a while until the nerves all died and a new, leathery pad developed there...

OUCH!!! But I still gotta try...

4. Yup, it tore my thumb up, now its all nice and hard =).

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    funkslp, whats the link for that video?
  6. mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    If you aren't bleeding all over your bass you aren't doing it right. I had tried to get this technique for years, and one day we were practicing and I just started doing it. I loved the way it sounded so much I just started doing it whenever I could, and soon had to carry a towel to gigs to wipe off the blood between sets. After a couple months I developed a monster callous. Flea from the Chili Peppers has been known to pour super glue in bass wounds to make them stop, maybe you could try that, I prefer to bleed. LOL
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It shouldn't require a lot of force. Use the minimum amount of thumb necessary to catch the string.
  8. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY

for the rest of you, my thumb isn't bleeding or anything, Its just painful. Now that i think about it, learning how to play slap in general was a painful process. It doesn't hurt anymore, so i guess the pain will subside once i get nice and calused.
  9. trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    Just search video.google.com for Victor Wooten.
  10. hmmm it's never hurt me but it sounds like i'm getting the right tone to me, maybe i'm doin it wrong but i doubt it, different strokes for different folks apparently, keep up the good work regardless!

p.s. what kinda bass are you playing?
  11. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I have a hard time with it, but the pain is just my wrist getting stiff because i need to relax more, especially for the thumb down thumb up pluck pluck... I normally do the "go through the string with the thumb" when i slap, but i never go back up with it, so i tend to get way too much of my thumb under the string.

Practice x infinite.