1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wooten's "Music Lesson" - has it impacted your playing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kesslari, Jul 25, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I really got a lot out of The Music Lesson.
    I think it's changed a number of the ways I think about my playing - certainly has made me mindful that there is more to music than playing "the right notes".

For me, one definite impact is that I'm very aware of my current focus on phrasing and articulation. I've been playing (and gigging) primarily fretless since I got my GWB in May, and I'm much more aware of and focused on improving these aspects of my playing.
    Phrasing and articulation.

I've also been more willing to take risks - finding some truth in the statement "you're only a half-step away from a good note. And interestingly, the more I risk, the easier I'm finding it to land more consistently on the good notes.

Obviously there's more to it than that, but it's been a nice way to conceptualize different aspects of my playing to work on.

If you've read it - How about you?

2. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of the best books around and I have given or recommended it to many. There is so much in that book on all levels of life and playing. Another book Victa recommends is Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner.

3. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    No.

4. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    I don't know what is happening here but I have to say I am with onlyclave again on this one.

No.

5. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    It definitely helped m to open up and just let the music come out of me, rather than trying to make the music myself.

6. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
  7. It has, I've been paying much more attention to my dynamics and such. Making my music sound more "human" instead of just regurgitating notes.

8. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I haven't read Victor's book, but Effortless Mastery is great. He talks a lot about just "getting out of the way" and letting your hands and ears play the music while you watch. When you are able to do this, your playing (and your enjoyment) suddenly jump up to a new level.

I'll have to check out The Music Lesson too.

9. Are you?

10. i have read the two chapters available over the internet to read. the book would reach me after some months but whatever i have read has impacted not only my playing but me as a musician too and i think even otherwise a person and the way i think

11. Precisely and when you have experienced this - your mindset will never be the same. As odd as it sounds - the best I can equate this to is when you are playing with your band and everyone is locked in - no one is really communicating except through their music - everyone that plays knows this feeling (or at least everyone I have played with) you are in the Zone and the music is playing you - all the hair stands up on your arms on nights like this. It is a great feeling.

Letting your hands and ears play the music is how we describe it - but at this point the music is flowing through you and you have gotten out of the way.

12. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    So, who the heck is that freak Michael suppose to be, anyway!? :D

13. Don't know - but I want some of what he is taking - lol :D

14. Michael is a sort of metaphor for Vic's innate sense of music. Sort of a musical conscious, so to speak. Someone who could say what he was thinking, regardless of whether it was accepted wisdom or not.

I pre-ordered two copies so I'd get Vic's autgraph on them. After reading it, I thought the signature was kinda inconsequential - the new attitude I have now when playing is due in a large part to reading just that one book. The idea of equating playing to speaking really clicked for me.

Didn't help my metaphorical stutter much, though... ;)

15. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I don't even like Victor that much as a musician but the ideas in the book are definitely changing the way I'm playing. The biggest thing thus far is definitely the "never more than a half step from a "good" note."

16. Haven't read it yet. Bought it, but I'm saving it to read on my November vacation.

17. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    I'm actually putting a class together right now, which I will be teaching in the near future, and the crux of the material is a blend of ideas from Vic's book, Effortless Mastery, The Inner Game of Music, and The Mastery of Music.

Let me put it this way...it ain't gonna be your average "Music 101". =D
    Check them all out if you can. Reading books like these can help you as a person who plays music.

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yes. Hugely.

In the book, it was said "never lose the groove in order to find a note"
    And I've been doing that a lot not!
    I (try to) groove the hell out of songs!

I have much much more to practice and apply though.

19. Porksicle

Porksicle

May 16, 2008
    Taylor, MI
    I can't wait for my copy to get here. Just reading the sample chapters kinda' can get you thinking about things a little... differently.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021