Word of Caution to Bassists who Drive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marc40a, May 11, 2003.

1. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I got rear ended on the way to rehearsal a couple of weeks ago and the impacted trunk latch crunched a hole through my speaker cabinet grill - even w/ a padded cover on it.

Don't ever put your rack or basses in the trunk if you can help it. Rear end accidents are the most common and there's not a whole lot you can do about it by driving defensively. If my money equipment was back there I would've been F#$%ed. This is the second time this has happened to me.

Speakers are the most durable and least expensive so they usually go in the trunk if space permits.

On the upside, it looks like I'm getting a hatchback this time around.:) No more dry humping the 4x10 trying to squeeze it into the car's back seat - while knocking off the door's handles and window cranks in the process.
  2. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
  3. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The 4x10 would never fit into the trunk. I'd always have to squeeze it into the back seat by holding one handle on top, balancing the corner of it on my knee and doing the nasty with it to shimmee it in. As a result, my 4x10 ended up staying home a lot in favor of a smaller cab that would actually fit into the trunk.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    get a truck! No problems with moving gear, and I pretty much always keep a trailer hitch on that sticks out behind my truck for about a foot! :D

5. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    NEVER LET SOMEONE ELSE HELP LOAD YOUR GEAR. My brother was being helpful and put my cab in the front seat of my car. Of course one hard stop sent the sucker straight into my windshield :mad:
  6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    They should have put the seat belt on it. :D ;) I'm just kidding but seriously, I have used my seat belt to help strap in my 410.
  7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Get a jeep. The back latch gate is the best thing ever invented, plus the quick folding seats.
  8. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My 2 cabs fit in the back seat and are *always* belted in. If I rear end someone else, I don't need an Aggie 12" cab driven into my skull.
  9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    get a tow bar, people make the extra effort to stop.
  10. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    I haul my rig in my mini van, it works great when I pull the seats out.
  11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I always strap my stuff down in the car. I dont want a 90 pound speaker cabinet flying around if I get in an accident.
  12. I keep my stuff in the trunk.
    I've been rear ended with gear there too.

Insurance got me all new stuff.

Go ahead. Bring it on.
  13. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    "Aggie 12"...??? You in TX, by any chance...? :)
  14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    boy i really missed my honda civic wagovan when it died
    ugly as sin and totally uncool - but it held a lotta stuff and loading thru the hatch was a breeze
    i had to suffer a while driving a 90 sentra - (swr 410s really do a number on your windshield)
    fortunately i just got a 2000 saturn Wagon and boy am i happy
    uncool, but lets see the cool hip trendy bass player fit his cabinets into his cool chick magnet sports car
    overall it seems that wagons are safer for gear as long as you have the seats down (the cabs have somewhere to go if you are rear ended)
    of course, that somewhere could be through your back......
    hmmmmmm...............i think i'll leave the back seats up if i can
    tell ya what, i look like an old man (hell i am at 35), but when i got my entire rig and my two kids in the car and still have room for groceries - i'm way cool
  15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Cars + Gear = mixed emotions

Ahh yes,, good stuff. I was starting to think I was the only one with this type of trouble. Just three weeks ago I accidently sent my 4x10 thru my drummers rear side window :eek: . Of course,, we are packing it kinda tight in that thing, '01 Hyundai Accent 2 door with a 5 piece drumkit,, hardware and cymbals,, 410 cab, 4 space rack, 2 basses (one hardshell case too) and 2 people up front, :eek: again. 30 mpg tho,, sure beats my 5.0 'stang!
  16. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    That is funny man. I know how you feel. I use to have to try and squeeze a SWR SOB and Goliath Jr. into the backseat of my VW Jetta. That is the best way to describe what it looks like to a perfect stranger.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Also, be sure not to ride in any airplanes. They might crash.
  18. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Please post Aggie jokes in the Lounge ;)
  19. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Oh - I get it - Aggie...

Actually I *am* in Dallas.
  20. My advice exactly.