Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Word of Mouth Revisited(merged)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jacolives1, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Jacolives1

Jacolives1

Aug 20, 2003
    Inspired by the music and spirit of Jaco Pastorius, Word of Mouth Revisited
    is possibly the most impressive lineup of bass virtuosity ever assembled to date.

“I remember the first time hearing Jaco…That was the day I turned into a different bass player.”
    -- Victor Wooten

Heads Up International announces the August 26th worldwide release of Word of Mouth Revisited (HUCD 3078), a brilliant tribute to Jaco’s legacy that features the fourteen -piece Jaco Pastorius Big Band, along with guest appearances by the most talented electric bass players on the contemporary jazz scene: Victor Bailey, Richard Bona, Jeff Carswell, Jimmy Haslip, Christian McBride, Marcus Miller, David Pastorius, Gerald Veasley and Victor Wooten. The recording also boasts a previously unrecorded track with Jaco.

http://www.headsup.com/albums/3078.asp

E-Card: http://www.headsup.com/ecards/3078

Contests: http://www.headsup.com/FTRpromo_jaco.asp

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds good - I shall probably get it - so, you're a fan of olives - yummy!! :)

3. Jacolives1

Jacolives1

Aug 20, 2003
    The enhanced CD boasts interviews with the bassists as well. It is a very, very cool release.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I still get teary eyed when I hear "3 Views of a Secret".

5. Jacolives1

Jacolives1

Aug 20, 2003
    :bassist:
    A great song indeed. That song was not covered, but Christian McBride's version of Forgotten Love is stunning!

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Forgive me for asking(it's kind of my job here ya know:p )

but, you register today, post only in a post about this album, your homepage is information on this album, and you didn't even write a review, unless you wrote all that you copy-pasted.

this is dangerously border-line "jacolives1-works-for someone-that-put-out this-album-and-is-trying to-irk-some-extra-sales by-shamelessly-plugging-it on-an-all-bass-forum and-thus-violating-the-no-spam-rules-we- have"

however, since this is the only post(that is you are not making multple posts on the same topic in various forums), and users are more than welcome to review albums they like, It is not quite so, but, I must ask, do you in fact work for someone producing this album, feel free to PM me if you do not wish to divulge this information over the regular forum channels.

that said, thanks for bring this album to my attention :p I'll look into it. :D :D :D

7. Jacolives1

Jacolives1

Aug 20, 2003
    I am a friend of Jaco Pastorius Inc. I am not employed by them and I was simply telling other bass players about this release. There is no money involved here and if you feel like you need to take it down, then do so. I have been playing the bass for two years now, a man with a real job, but I just really like the bass.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    just downloaded the MP3 of Barbary Coast (Veasley) Hot Damm! Nice feel, nasty!

AJ

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I thought X-man started a thread about this album...I dunno-
    Two weeks ago?

Anyway, it's on my list...along with the new Dave Holland 5-tet Live thing due out next Tuesday.

I sampled "Wiggle Waggle". It's swingin'!

10. The Jaco Pastorius Big Band 'Word of Mouth Revisited' came out yesterday and I gotta say that it is very well done. These are all big band arrangements of mostly Jaco tunes and a few others, some of the arrangements are Jaco's, featuring some of the hottest bass players around today. JImmy Haslip, Victor Wooten, Gerald Veasley, Christian McBride, Richard Bona and Victor Bailey and Jaco's nephew David Pastorius and a bonus track from Marcus Miller. I haven't read the liner notes but those look pretty good as well.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What is this...thread #3 on this album?
    ;)

In any event, my copy arrived today(minus the new Holland album I had also ordered).
    It is very well done.
    I like the liner notes to "Wiggle Waggle-
    This tune has Jaco playing; the big band did their thing around his "extracted" bassline. Band leader Graves said it brough back fond times...Graves even mentioned he could "see Jaco's s***-eating grin" as they recorded their part over Jaco's.

My question-
    Where's Oteil?

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like the live feel of the album! I think it says the recorded it live in the liner notes! Everybody plays great!!! So far for some funny reason my least favorite is Victor Wooten's version of Teen Town
    :confused:

p.s. Jim.....I picked up that Holland double disc, great stuff! I wrote about it down in the Double bass section....drummer Billy Kilson kills!

14. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I enjoyed Christian McBride's contribution on "Forgotten Love." He played some really nice melodies in his solo section. It reminds me of something Dizzy Gillespie once said to Steve Bailey after a ripping bass solo, "Be careful you don't slow down or you might let some music get through." Or something to that affect.

15. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've had this for over a year...2003 release? I think there was a thread about it when it was actually released , if you do a search?

17. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm listening to it right now for about the 1000th time. Love this cd. If you get a chance try and catch the band live. Jeff Carswell is a fantastic player and super guy. He really nails Jaco's vibe on a lot of stuff.

18. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I finally bought a copy this summer. I like it alot.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hate it...

... wait... I mean I love it.