Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Word Of Thanks To Our Luthiers

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mchildree, May 26, 2003.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    In the process of researching old threads and on other sites for refinishing tips, I again realize how much freebie info our resident Luthiers dispense. This is an unbelievably valuable resource for players who don't have a good builder/repair person nearby...or for any of us, for that matter. I'm sure everybody realizes that these guys usually get paid for this knowledge.

I know it's been said, but it bears multiple repeats. THANKS GUYS!!! :D

Your time and willingness to pass on advice is much appreciated!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'll second that. And I'll second my offer to MARTIN LUTHIER, Inc. to work with Paul set up a special 'Ask the Pros" forum in any configuration they want, including links threads, directories, etc. Having these guys around is an incredible asset, and it never hurt anyone to let them know they're appreciated.

3. Your time and willingness to pass on advice is much appreciated!

I have often thought this same thing. I too thank you...I have been searching thr Newbies section in all the Forums and have found alot of great stuff that I didnt realize was there. Even found a couple of my Goofy Post :D There is SO much FREE information on this site and to think we have Luthier`s the caliber that we do giving advice is wonderful. Thanks Guys...

Dave

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    aw, shucks....

actually, it's great to share information in this forum. it is difficult to find useful/practical information about bass luthiery and talkbass is a great solution to the anonomity (sp?) that pervades much of our trade.

I've made some fine friends, too...:D

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    And it is MUCH appreciated...

Speaking of luthiers; haven't heard much from Ahhhnold and Jefe Jeff lately. Hopefully, they're busy building. In the wake of Ed's recent departure from TB, I get a little nervous when folks don't chime in for awhile.

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    To the Don Ho of basses-Ahhnold and I are around, we've been kinda preoccupied with gettin ready for the ISB convention and stuff. Plus I've been working out alot lately[I wanna look good for Nick when we room together in Richmond]

Thanks for the thanks, but I think we get as much out of TB as anyone. We are bass info junkies just like the rest of you. I constantly get beta that I can use in the real world. Just last week a customer asked me about getting him a bent endpin deal going. I knew little about it and came right here. Within a day there were enough intelligent replies[thanks, guys!] that I could talk about it like I had a clue. I have some areas where I think I can claim a small degree of expertise-but things like stick basses, amps, rockabilly strings, etc. well they are just not my forte. Yet, If I need the information, and I have, a few clicks and there it is. Thank me? No, thank you!

7. I have to agree with Nick. I've probably learned as much from guys like Jeff, Nick and Arnold as anyone else on this forum. Even though I've been making and repairing these things for a lot of years, these guys frequently come up with different ways to do a task that either improves the quality of work or save me time - sometimes both! I'm glad to share what I know because I know that others will share what they know and that in turn helps me too. Thanks!

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I fear it's too Llate to impress Mr Lllllllloyd. Nick's already buff. REAL buff. Maybe you should just go for the helpless "Lluthier in Dis Dress" Llook instead?

9. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Llook you llazy llamas, I'm onlly rooming with Jefe to save some dolllars. Jefe working out? He's been llooking for the wollf, not llifting any weights. Besides, I'm not that kind of girll...

The onlly drawback about tallkbass is the llack of faces. It willl be weird to share a room with turtllehugger; I hope he doesn't snore or smelll worse than me.

10. I have to add my thanks here too. I spent a lot of time reading old TB threads before I finally got off my tail and ante'd up. There's a huge amount of info, knowledge, experience, humour, tolerance and passion for the instrument to be found here, posted by the pros. Thanks, Gentlemen.

My uneloquent .02 (Canadian, so it's worth less...)

11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    You and Jeff will do fine. Just make sure he tells you the "face down on the hospital gurney" story only once, and preferably not during a meal.

As for all the praise you guys have heaped on us, I say; you're welcome! It's always fun. Bob, I'm cooking Eigenmode Parmigiana tonight...

12. Ahhhh - one of my all time favorites!

13. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is that dish served on bent plates with little red sprinkles?

14. Not necessarily bent, but definately with little red sprinkles.

15. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I was TV channel surfing last night, and happened on "The Red Violin", one of the STUPEDEST movies I've ever seen. In the first sentence I heard, the "violin research scientist" said "EIGENMODE"! I, of course, thought of my esteemed colleague Bob Branstetter, and had a little chuckle. Bob, were you a technical consultant on that movie?

16. I'll contribute my own accolades to the illustrious craftsmen(persons?) who so generously share their knowledge, opinons and their somewhat twisted sense of humor here at TB.

Arnold, I've seen The Red Violin too, and it gave me an idea. What do you think of using human blood as a tinting agent for Waterlox varnish? You see, I'm going to do a refinish job on my Engelhardt this summer.....

17. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Sorry, but blood only mixes well into Spirit varnish.

18. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Vodka? Rye whiskey? Corn likker? Think I feel the Spirit comin' on right now...

Sh*t. It's only noon and I've got a 1:30 meeting. Better not.

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Indeed. The knowledge shared here is a great asset to the DB community.

For me, the luthiers here have offered two VERY important things:

1. The knowledge and and confidence to handle many upgrades, tweaks and repairs.

2. The wisdom to know which of the above should be handed by one of their colleagues.

20. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Arnold, you mis-spelled stupidest. Is it time for a talkbass spelling bee?

I'd rather watch The Red Violin than, let's say, Matrix 2. But, that's turtlehugger's favorite new flick.