Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

word on the street - THE LA BASS EXCHANGE HAS CLOSED ITS DOORS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jul 11, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    interesting.

southern calif is a dry nut for basses now.

bassalone.com being the only decent place left.

f

2. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    oops...guess it ain't public yet.

you didn't hear it from me!

:eek:

f

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Liberty Music in San Diego deals exclusively with basses, amps and cabs and many of them are high-end.

John D.'s Bass Alone is a great shop, however and nobody beats John's enthusiasm and on-hand inventory.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Support your local dealer - buy more basses dammit. :p :D

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    have a url or phone #?

i can't seem to find them.

f

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, being that theyre prices were higher than almost any of the other bass dealers im not all that suprised.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Go cruise the music ads at sdreader.com. Liberty almost always has an ad.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Guess I'm not too suprised either as they haven't updated their "New basses" page in over a year. . .

Always felt funny typing "bas sex change" into my browser anyway. . . :D

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm afraid it's not just a rumor...

:(

...if it is, it's already made it to the east coast as well.

10. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Is this actually true or is this like when Eden got sold? ;)

11. You mean, when Carl Thompson got bought out by Washburn.

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Yup! It's true!!!!! George Furlinetto told me today. It's hard enough to keep up a store that does basses AND guitars, so bass only must be brutal.

13. Well...that's sad. If ya can't survive in a Musical city like LA what does that bode for other bass stores in other locations?

I want to add that John DiMaggio at www.bassalone.com is a very fine gentlemant who has always been extremely reliable with mail orders and the highest quality of personal service. I would recommend his shop (although I've never been at his physical shop) to any bassist!

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've bought three basses up at LABX (two Laks and a Pedulla). Long and Dave are the best, and they're certainly not closing for any lack of customer service. Best of everything to them. Hmmmm ... wonder what's going to happen with their inventory. Sorry.

Liberty Music's advertised prices are not what you have to pay (just like GC). I bought my D-115XL there, and did just fine. Also, they've had some blowouts with excellent prices. It's a small store, in the underground garage of a residence off the beaten path, but I like to go there. I think they do a lot of export business.

I go down to John DiMaggio's shop every once in a while. He specializes in high-end exotics, but doesn't carry some brands I think he should. If he'd hook up with Lakland, he'd be the only place you could get one in America's sixth largest city. Heck, Rainbow Music in Tucson carries a slew of them. With LABX gone, GC Hollywood would be the only other place that stocks them in SoCal. Don't get me wrong, John is ultra friendly and helpful. He's even taken me back and shown me some of his personal projects he's working on with Bone Guitars. Check out his site.

Bass Alone ~ San Diego

15. Liberty Music.. God that rings a bell..... I read the Reader. I look at the crazy ads but for some reason I can't place their where abouts??.... I live in North County SD, and there's nothing but a GC in San Marcos. um! Moonlight music in Encinitas doesn't count either. ... Sorry to hear about LA Bass Exchange..... LA is falling apart. Its like a third world up there. I try avoid LA like the Plague..
    :eek: So it's BassAlone or nothing boys........

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Liberty Music is on 53rd Street, just south of El Cajon Boulevard. It's in a kind of seedy part of east San Diego. They have a lot of Warwick, Eden, Pedulla, Jay Turser, and other high-end stuff (LOL).

Bass Alone carries more high-end stuff, but more esoteric.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    BA is a great shop, and one of the few places that actually has Accugroove on hand. john was incredibly helpful in helping me understand their tone. great guy.

a shame to hear what's happening to Long. Didnt they just have a clinic with Marcus Miller a few weeks ago? with something like that, you'd think they'd be ontop of the world. oh well... :(