1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Word to The Wise (Bass Player Wanted)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Mar 9, 2010.

1. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Just a quick thought here. I have noticed a few of you and your concern about responding to ads for bass players.Things like why do they want my pictures, stuff like that.

First of all most of the Vetereans here know that most of those ads are from guys sitting in their bedrooms that want to start a band and have nothing to offer. The Red Flags for these ads are more than obvious. Don't waste your time.

Now, for the legit ads for working , established bands that document current bookings and a history of prior bookings, these are the one you take seriouse. Yes for these ads you should have pictures and a bio.

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I wouldn't have any issues providing info to a band, assuming they are credible (as you stated, active working band, gigs booked, etc). Start ups are usually not anything worth while, for me at any rate ....

That said, most of the working bands in this area rarely advertise for players. Slots are usually filled through networking, word of mouth and interaction with a bunch of other players. I have started a new funk/R&B band as a side project and didn't have to resort to ads to get the requisite players .... all word of mouth.

A lot of dreamers out there without a game plan, so expect to waste a good amount of time when responding to blind ads ... ;)

3. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    That said, most of the working bands in this area rarely advertise for players. Slots are usually filled through networking, word of mouth and interaction with a bunch of other players.

Very true. Bass players seek out those bands not the other way around.

I know I have mentioned this and I am targeting the "senior" bass players. when it comes to auditioning. How good you are is not the end all to end all. it's do you fit our band.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020