1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Words/idioms similar to "facepalm" in non-English languages?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bongomania, May 7, 2010.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Over in another thread yesterday a fellow from Sweden described a real forehead-slapping groaner of a situation. I asked him if there was a Swedish expression for when you slap your forehead after realizing a big mistake, and he said they would probably just use the English word "facepalm". :D

So now I'm curious: are there other languages that do have colorful or unique words or idiomatic expressions that mean something similar to "facepalm"? I'd love to have a few choice examples in my vocabulary.

So, nu?

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Excellent question. As far as I know, there is no word I commonly use that would convey the same meaning in French. There is a plethora of funny expressions, but not for this very purpose.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I consulted my Webster unabridged dictionary copyrighted 1979 and facepalm was not in there. I can only assume that it entered our language as a result of idiotic posting in discussion forums (not a dig at this thread) and probably hasn't made it into the lexicon of those not plugged in to discussion forums.

4. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks to the Simpson's, I've heard the phrase "D'oh!!!" used in four different countries...

5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    German somewhat has one similar and it is "Jetzt wir haben ein(e?) Salat.

Which translates to "Now we have a salad"

Basically it just means we messed up and now we are screwed.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Kurwa mać in Polish. (Koor-va motch) It's a sort of all purpose term that you can use in a facepalm situation, you see or do something stupid and say "kurwa mać" while slapping your forehead, but can also make a great f-bomb sorta phrase when you smash your toe on a door frame etc etc. OWWW!!! KURWA MAĆ!!!!
    There's really no direct translation for it but it has something to do with the "wh" + ore word.

7. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    :confused: I always assumed "facepalm" referred to symbolically covering your face with both hands in deep embarrassment (for yourself or someone else).

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, or with one palm. I was leaving room for interpretation of a range of face-on-hand exasperations. :p

9. I usually just say absolutely dirt in Norwegian. What it sounds like in English can't be posted on this forum.

lowsound

10. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    Don't have anything for non-English as I don't speak any other languages, but an alternative I use is *headdesk* which I actually physically do at work...but more in a frustration way for the idiots I'm surrounded by.

11. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    German's got a lot of funny expressions. My teacher told me once that a German expression for when something's really good translates to "super monkey good". My favorite two fun expressions come from Swiss German. When something's good you say "king", and when something doesn't matter you say "wayne".