Wore out my Gamut Lyon G in 1 year. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dilbertisme, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Over in the "Gut String Longevity" thread, it seems everyone gets years and years out of their Gamut plain-gut strings. One person said theirs was still going strong after 5 years! I bought my (varnished) Lyon G almost exactly a year ago, and just ordered a replacement. I felt the need to have a spare on deck because the old one has become rough in places and has begun to regularly spin off enough large hairs to make me nervous. The Pistoy D that is the same age also has a few minor hairs, but not nearly as much as the Lyon G.

I play old-time string-band stuff, which means literally hours of playing in A, D, and G. So there inevitably a lot of wear at the second position (a on the g string). I play 3-4 hour sessions once or sometimes twice a week.

Would doing more maintenance, like sanding, oiling, etc. prolong the string's useful life? Should I rotate it like a mattress (back to front and/or up to down)? Or is a year all I should expect, given my application?

I love the sound and feel of the Gamuts, and my '48 Epiphone needs the low tension, so there's really no option. But I sure hope I don't have to cough up $100 for a new G string every year! :bawl:

2. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    I recently wore out my Carlos Chorda G in the pizz area. It took me 1,5 year and I've played almost every day 2-8 hours and I was not oiling it or sanding it properly. Before this I had an Artone G (also 1,5 year) which I oiled almost every week and sanded when I needed to, and it's still fine, just slightly discoloured. My opinion is that caring for your guts is essential.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I always wondered what effect, if any, that oiling varnished gut strings had.

4. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Cut off the knot and re-tie it at the other end. If you're lucky the worn spots will be below the end of the fingerboard.
    FWIW- I've had an unvarnished D & G on since mid 2008 and they are still going strong, oiled lightly every 2-3 months and sanded or clipped as needed. West coast weather helps a lot!!
    -Jeff

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021