Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Work at day and play at night

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jan 10, 2004.

1. I'd like for talkbassers to tell me about how they go about working professionally (say accounting, programming, engineering, etc.) and being able to be on a band playing gigs on the side.

Personal problems have kept me from playing for too long. Now I finally have a job, but I wonder how exactly to squeak in time to get back to playing.

I would have to start the band myself.

Playing alone in my apartment won't cut it.

So, lemme see some feedback/stories on the matter. Examples of time managment/band formation would help a lot.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A regular workout routine, lottsa water on the gig, combo amp for quick teardown, eat right, save the drinking for the weekend... I am currently working towards a situation that may require weeknights, and this is where I'm looking to get myself to... too many years of not taking care of the bod are taking their toll though, making it hard to get in shape :(

-robert

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have a full time+ job and gig a fair amount. First thing, sometimes it just sucks to have to play and then go to work the next day. Know and accept this going in. I put together my last band. Make sure the members like, and get along with each other. If it is a 4 piece band you now have 4 birthdays, mothersday, wives/husbans, kids, etc so the "get along" part is important. Make sure all members do their homework. Time becomes important so you dont want to wait for a member to learn their part while you sit there at practice. This might sound weird for some but it works for me, dont sleep to much. If you only get 3 hrs of sleep cos of a gig, dont try to make it up by sleeping 10-12 hrs the next day. I average 6hs sleep a day and it works good for me. Try to get in shape, it doesnt have to be alot but go for bike rides, use the stairs, go for walks, anything really. Most important, have fun! Being in a band is a kick in the tail! Last but not least, dont drink too much. You dont want to be hung over the day after every time you play out.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I tried working full time while gigging but as the gigs became more frequent, it started to kill me. I could get by on zero sleep when I was 25 but now that I've hit 30 I can't do it anymore.

Nowdays I've got a nice balance going. I work 3 days a week as an Accountant and I shuffle those 3 days around my gig schedule. For the first time in my life I've also got some time for R & R and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Right now it's all working great for me. Most gigs tend to fall on weekends, for obvious reasons. Gigs that fall on a weeknight generally fall on a Thursday, which leaves just one work day before a weekend respite. Also, weeknight gigs tend to happen locally, as they seem to command less money, so are less likely to warrant traveling out of town for - and they're likely to end a bit earlier, too.

I've found that my bandmates who don't work are very understanding of the fact that I want to make my situation as viable and as sustainable as possible, and they are always cool with me bailing early and skipping load-in/load-out, etc. when needed.

If you're like me, your career has to come first, but you want to make music come in a solid second. Resisting the urge to hang out after the show, resisting the urge to have a 'couple' of beers - at least on weeknight shows - can go a really long way.

As for me, having a bit of flexibility at work, having very cool and accommodating bandmates, and an even more cool and accommodating wife helps a lot, too.

:)

Hope that you can find a way to make it happen for you!

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Another aspect of holding down a "day gig" is that you don't have to put up with taking whatever scraps are offered and playing in all sorts of dives. You're not going to be playing as much and you probably won't get as good as a full-time muso but, on the other hand, you also don't have to get caught in nearly so much of the hassle of the 'music world' as you would if it was your only means of survival.

Wulf