1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

work

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by curbowkid, Aug 26, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I've been doing the resturaunt/banquet worker thing for 2 years now and I'm kinda fed up with it. Its not the job i have a problem with. Its the people who I work with and my boss is kinda showing his colors and just whatever. I want out. I want a job in construction of any kind involving wood work and things of the sort. I have from what I've been told excellent hand work skills and I find things like that absolutely exciting and I can focus on them so much easier. I don't know if any of you have advice on this but any would be appreciated. I've had my fill of restaraunt. I want to do something I enjoy now. And I want the opportunity to tell my boss to F himself. Many of you may have seen a previous post I made about car troubles with my bosses last vehicle and I just get the feeling he knew now and he's not exactly being a kind human being towards me. But that's whatever. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks

-Dan

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Drop some Ex Lax in his coffee.

3. Just leave for a new job.

I have had a rage quit in my younger days, but I try not to burn bridges these days.

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I would do that if I didn't have bills. I'm gonna find a job somewhere else and wait for a time when he really pisses me off and say what I gotta say and leave, hopefully forcing him to jump on the line and cook for a busy night.

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    That would be funny as hell. We actually have a can of colon clense in the kitchen. Don't ask why, your guess is as good as mine.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Your attitude shows your immaturity.

Honestly, there's no point in doing that. Just find another job and leave for greener pastures. No need to be a drama queen about it. And, if you absolutely don't care about using him as a reference later on (though you should), just leave without giving him 2-week's notice. That'd be enough to mess with most bosses.

I had a boss who'd easily rival or surpass the one you're describing. I was young and needed the work, so I accepted his abuse. When I left, I still gave 2-week's notice. A few years later, when I needed a part-time job to meet a custom schedule set by the school I was attending which happened to be a 2-min walk from my old workplace, I tried them again for kicks and I was re-hire for part-time work which made attending school & working that much easier.

Bottom line ; don't burn bridges needlessly. He may be a dink but you don't know when or how you might need him in the future. Make a graceful exit and enjoy your new job, whatever that might be.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You'll find people you don't like in any job. You may spend the rest of your working days going from job to job if you are ready to leave because of the people you work with. As for the boss you are unhappy with, maybe find out why he treats you poorly? Usually an honest conversation can get these types of situations sorted out.

Maybe you're really upset with him right now because of how the car purchase went down? If so, that will pass.

-Mike

8. Which is why I said leave for a new job, I.e. having a new job lined up before leaving.

Say what you have to say? What positive will come from blowing off?

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hope u all know I was just joking...

10. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm not acting on any of this yet. These are my thoughts with my life currently. I go to work every day with a smile and do my best and try to make everyone happy. I'm not going to mindlessly flip out and start yelling at people and leave. That's not me at all. I'm respectful always to everyone as long as they don't outwardly make a point to get on my bad side. I'm just tired of waking up each day either cooking, washing dishes or working banquets for ungrateful people. I know I will be recognized if I can get into construction. Immature? Yea I am at times, I'm still growing up. My life hasn't exactly been text book. I'm just trying to do what I can with what I got. While I say id love to tell my boss to F off. I'm not confrontational so it won't happen. Plus I know he knows people so I will keep him as a reference. I don't mean to come on here blowing steam and seeming like a hot head. I'm really not. Just fustrated and sick of doing some of the things I do for work and not even getting so much as a thank you. I do understand he's paying me in return but that doesn't negate being polite. But even then I'm underpayed for everything I do. I've installed floors for these people for a touch above minimum wage.

End rant.

11. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I know. But its still a funny thought ;)

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm gonna try to sort things out. And its not just the car

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Cool deal. Best wishes to finding a happy medium at work. I'm fairly certain you will be able to find it. Many people do.

-Mike

14. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    I was an electrician for 15 years and a general laborer for about 10 before that. I don't know where you think " recognition" is gonna come from working the trades ? You're gonna start as a drone, and get the crap work, it's seasonal, rarely any paid holidays and severely tied to the economy.

I found it exciting and challenging at first, I was learning, working hard, and enjoying myself. But after installing every single plug and switch in a hospital or hi rise, believe me it gets repetitive as heck. It also takes a toll on your body, I'm 48 now and feel every time I had to take a knee to install a plug and my back feels every bundle of conduit, reel of wire, transformer, and switchgear I had to schlep or set.

Construction bosses aren't candy coated either. Try and go the union route if you can, and take every kind of training possible ad soon as possible to get ahead.

I changed careers and started my own business, still hard but I get along much better with the boss and staff :)

15. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Thanks brother

16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Nice man but like, the kind of work I want is like fine carpentry, house building, things of that sort that make people go "wow". I strive to impress and I know I can do it. I know its hard and toll taking work, my dad and uncle have been doing it for just as long as you actually. I don't mind it though. I want to build things that will last past my lifetime and woe for many generations.

17. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    Most carpentry in building a house is framing, and unless it's exposed beam or old school mortise and tennon, no one says wow, it all gets covered up.

Finish carpentry is wonderful, but also even more limited work wise that general stuff. And even in the best finish shop you're gonna spend a lot more time sweeping up sawdust that building beautiful wet bars and stuff to start. It's totally a dues paying profession.

If its what you want to do go for it. I find working with my hands to be very rewarding, I still do in a way, just not in the construction industry. It's rough out there and there's always someone lookin to undercut your bid, but that's the game. In the end, skill, quality, and most of all, great relationships with your clientele are what make a lasting business. In someone's home, the customer is ALWAYS right, it's up to you to make their dream fit the price you charge.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nothing in construction is impossible, it just costs more. :D

As for starting out in construction, jkramer5 speaks the truth. Apprentices get treated harshly. Right or wrong, that's how it goes in the construction. I've seen many an apprentice walk off the job for what he/she felt was unfair treatment.

-Mike

19. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    Sucks ! :D

20. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I am a full-time tile and marble setter. Got into it 12 years ago so I could learn a trade and make more than I could doing anything else I knew of. ( legally) It would be what makes it possible for me to have a house and raise my kids and support my wife. Barely.
    While that part has come to be, it is back breaking work( I am in pain as I type ) and I deal with alot of rich people who think they are better than me and I have to smile and take it .
    As far as I can tell you are always going to have to answer to someone who is going to give you money for some service or product.

Unless I go guerrilla . But that makes it kinda hard to jam.