1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

worked on a very interesting upright today

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BillyBishop, Apr 16, 2002.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I work in a instrument repair shop (co-op) anyways, somewon brought in a really interesting double bass. The fingerboard was flat, made of rosewood, and fretted. It actually still sounded alot like a conventional upright. It was pretty cool.

2. sounds interesting, i'm guessing this would be pizz only. any chance of posting a picture?

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've seen basses like the one you are describing. I was informed, by a player, that they come from Eastern European ethnic musics. Usually, a large pick is used, and they aren't bowed. Was the neck projection quite low corresponding to a low bridge? Did you see any wear on the top from use of a pick? I wish I could recall the name of this instrument...:(

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    It was a croatian bass if I remember correctly, made in 1974. It had been spraypainted black, not very attractive lol...Anyways, there were no marks from a pick or anything like that, I'm sure it was played in the traditional manner, although I doubt playing with a bow would be possible. Sorry no pics, the bass is long gone. I must admit I felt very strange doing fretwork on a double bass :D. The neck was HUGE. It was the most uncomfortable U shaped thing I have ever played. I didn't get a chance to meet the owner but I imagine he had enourmous hands lol. The bridge was also flattened along with the fingerboard, it was E shaped. It was quite a sight..It was in dire need of new strings (the strings were becoming unwound at the frets)..but it sounded good. It wasn't as "woody" or "growly" sounding as a fretless though. It had no soundpost, and it looked like it never did.