Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worked on a very interesting upright today

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BillyBishop, Apr 16, 2002.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I work in a instrument repair shop (co-op) anyways, somewon brought in a really interesting double bass. The fingerboard was flat, made of rosewood, and fretted. It actually still sounded alot like a conventional upright. It was pretty cool.

2. sounds interesting, i'm guessing this would be pizz only. any chance of posting a picture?

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've seen basses like the one you are describing. I was informed, by a player, that they come from Eastern European ethnic musics. Usually, a large pick is used, and they aren't bowed. Was the neck projection quite low corresponding to a low bridge? Did you see any wear on the top from use of a pick? I wish I could recall the name of this instrument...:(

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    It was a croatian bass if I remember correctly, made in 1974. It had been spraypainted black, not very attractive lol...Anyways, there were no marks from a pick or anything like that, I'm sure it was played in the traditional manner, although I doubt playing with a bow would be possible. Sorry no pics, the bass is long gone. I must admit I felt very strange doing fretwork on a double bass :D. The neck was HUGE. It was the most uncomfortable U shaped thing I have ever played. I didn't get a chance to meet the owner but I imagine he had enourmous hands lol. The bridge was also flattened along with the fingerboard, it was E shaped. It was quite a sight..It was in dire need of new strings (the strings were becoming unwound at the frets)..but it sounded good. It wasn't as "woody" or "growly" sounding as a fretless though. It had no soundpost, and it looked like it never did.