Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Workhorse rock'n roll machine.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 18, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    here's the story:

i have a new band. we play old style rock'n roll. we have done a couple of jam sessions and the audience liked what we did. so in the next months we'll probably have more shows to play. actually we are playing only covers: ramones, guns'n roses, deep purple, alice cooper, iggy pop, motorhead, ac dc...nothing special.

i play 80% an American Fender Pracision bass and 20% a Rickenbacker 4001

i have an ampeg svt410 cabinet and i need a workorse head due to the fact that my beloved tube Eko head is really old and i don't want to break it on the road.

so i have no great problem with sound, i realized that i can achieve a decent sound for this kind of music with quite every enough powerful amp. we reharsal in rented rooms and i used tons of different amps and even with the crappiest, a 200w Fender BXR combo i was satisfied enough with the sound. you know that's not fusion of jazz, this is rude rock'n roll...

so i don't have too much money to spend and i'll buy something used that can be coupled with my ampeg cabinet.

so i am scanning online and in the shops here in italy to see if i find something interesting used.
    i need your comments on which can be a good head for my purpose.

i found :
    Laney B1
    Laney DB 400H
    Gallien Krueger 1000
    Gallien Krueger 400

i have seen good deals on the Fender Bassman 400

i am not really in hurry. no matteri if tube or SS, the key factor is that the head match the cab. what i need is a honest head which will be relaible. please can you suggest some models?

thanks-!

2. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Hi, I can comment on the Laney B1 as I own one. I highly recommend giving the B1 a listen. I play a Precision through it.

It runs 1500 W bridged into 4 Ohms, 1000 W @8 Ohms.

You can alternatively run it bi-amped or dual mono @ 550 W into 4 Ohms , 350 W into 8 Ohms.

I run mine bi-amped using the internal Xover (150 Hz) into 1 X 15 and 1X 10.

IMO it is a superb amp, it's not let me down and is very reasonably priced. The compressors a little noisey though. The amps fairly light at 34 lbs (15 Kg) I think. I haven't seen any used B1s for sale but there again I don't look!

I don't know the other equipment you mention so I can't comment.

As for matching the Ampeg cab with the head, I think the two main technical points are probably the cab's impedance and power handling capabilities. The B1 will run into 2 to 8 Ohms ok. To find out whether you're going to get the tone you need you really need to try the head and cab together along with your bass. I've always found this extremely difficult in practice.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks a lot!

i am interested in other models i have not listed above.

help is really appreciated.

thanks

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you are willing to put a bit less into a head, perhaps Hartke 3500? They seem solid and have nice tone, and with two basses that EQ on/off is a nice feature to have. Only 350w/4ohm though.

5. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well Hartkes also come in 500 and 700 watt, both of which are biampable.

I have a 3500 and have not had any problems with it. It took a while to dial in my tone but it is a nice amp with your choice of solid state, tube, or a combo of the two.

6. if you find a Peavey Firebass, look into it. i'm very satisfied with mine, quite loud and seems extremely sturdy. "workhorse rock 'n' roll machine" describes this amp to a T.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ponder, I always thought the 7000 is plain stereo amp, as in it can't be bridged.. :confused:

8. I think GK would suit your needs. The 400RB, however, probably isn't powerful enough. It sounds like you need something pretty loud, and the 400RB is just bearly cutting it for me in a surf trio.
    I use it with an 8 ohm 4x10, so if your cabinet has a lower ohm rating, I guess you would get more volume out of it. It would probably be a better idea to go for the 700, 800, or 1001.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You are correct Sir! :D

My suggestion. Ampeg B2R or B4R if you have the bucks.

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    go with an ampeg, you can't beat them for balls to the wall classic rock grind!!!