workin in a music store?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Dec 14, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    This is something ive been considering, not for now, but maybe during university. i was wondering what they expect in terms of experience, number of instruments played, age, knowledge of things like hardware, electronics, etc.

Anyone who works at a music store feel free to chime in.
  2. burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    From what I can tell from my local store, looking like a stoner is a prerequisite. Knowing nothing about instruments tends to help.

Seriously, I don't think your skills on instruments are too important, but if you're a good technician, they'd find you useful.
  3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005

Although, theres a reason for that... :D
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All they care about is if you can sell. You can know diddly about instruments, but if you can sell, you're in.
  5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    well thats good, by the time i apply ill have 2+ years in retail
  6. guitar stores are 99% retail business. knowing every bass ever made or knowing the exact wattage of every amp at 2,4 and 8 ohms won't really help you getting the job if you ask me. what i have found is that most people go to guitar stores with something specific in mind, or they are just going to play the instruments.
    as for the stoner look, i have found that those guys are friends of the owners, or if they are working in a GC type store, its because the higher-ups may want their employees to "have the look"
    but having retail experience is a definate plus!
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You need to be willing to work crap hours for crap pay. Then you're in.
  8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i already do, and im stuck with incredibly annoying paris hilton generation girls and stupid least here i could be around guitars and be able to chill a bit