Working a deal - what d'you think!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Guys (and gals)

I've just been in to see my firendly purveyors of musical instruments and accessories. I've been unhappy with my Bass POD Pro almost since I bought it - it doesn't get used any more (it's only 6 months old), as I was more looking for a multi-effecst unit, and the POD ain't one of them (I guess I got caught up in the hype and didn't see it for what it was)

Anyway, I was talking to my usual sales guy and mentioned that I was looking at going fretless and was thinking about a GT-6B. I told him about my lack of POD use and he basically said if I had the original boxes, they'd refund what I paid for the POD etc, and we could see what prices he could do a MIM Jazz Fretless and the GT-6B for. I'm also considering buying an Ashdown Electric Blue 115 as a backup, small gig, practice amp as they have them going at a reasonable price.

For the POD gear and floorboard I paid £779 ($1090) which after checking about various places roughly the going rate! The Jazz Bass is £329 ($460) I think that the GT-6B will be about £399 ($560) over here (maybe a bit cheaper) and the Asdown is going for £289($400).

Do you guys think that this is a good deal????

Also, do you think I should take the Sunburst Jazz with White scratchplate that they have in the shop just now, or order a nice deep blue one(not sure of the actual colour description). I've played the one in the shop, it's nice. But I also like that purply blue colour they come in a lot! Thoughts anyone??

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I think that in isolation

The fretless Jazz is a good price

The GT6B may be a little high but I couldnt find a quote on the net

The ashdown electric blue has range has been upgraded, if its an old one you can get a bit off, look in Guitarist I think PMT have them on blow out, if it's a new one it's a good price.

However the deal includes refunding your pod. If the dealer sells them new at £799 then he is looking at £650 (ish) secondhand and in order to make money would probably offer you £500 (ish).

I don't think that you can save £300 on separate deals and you certainly cannot sell your pod privately for £799 and sleep at night.

Re the sunburst jazz if it's in good nick and it plays well then get that one. Mass produced basses are a lottery, the purple one could be worse (or a lot better). I think that the sunburst ones have a maple face over the body wood. Just get a torty scratchplate :)

Ask if theres a deadline for this deal and do some phoning around. It SEEMS a good deal but better to check it out.

Hope it works out for you whatever you decide.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

After years of losing money on deals I'm a natural pessimist - this sounds like a very good deal to me, but my thoughts are - "what's in it for the dealer (shop) ?"

I have heard people in shops talk like this, but in the end, they always want to make something out of it - how else can they make a living?

I am very suprised that they will refund what you paid for the POD - I have never heard of a shop doing this and as I say have always lost out, myself!

Like CS I would expect that £500 on something you paid £799 for, would be a good deal.

So if they are prepared to "refund" the £799 - I would say take it - quickly before they change their minds!! :eek:

Run to the shop now!! ;)
  4. Thanks guys!! Yes, he has indeed stated that he'd refund what I paid!!!! And then to use that for the Bass and GT-6B!!! He doesn't know I'm thinking seriously about the Ashdown yet.

I'm going to phone him after lunch - I've dug out my receipt and I've dug out the original POD and Floorboard boxes!!! IT did seem too good a deal to miss, and if I can get my money back to use as is - it's the first time I'll have evr managed it too!!!!
  5. Well - the deal has been done. The Bass POD PRo is gone along with it's floorboard. The money I paid was refunded in full!!!!

I now have a Fretless MIM Jazz Bass, an Ashdown Electric Blue 15 (the wife isn't happy about this though - it was a surprise to her!) and the Boss GT-6B is on order!!! The GT-6B turned out to be £369 ,which ain't too bad. The Jazz turned out to be £379 - a surprise, but it's nice none the less. Now I just need to start developing my fretless technique and make use of this swell on the notes lark - sounds great so far!!:) :)
  6. Damn. I'm too late to tell you not to buy the GT-6B. I think it sucks, but I was playing it next to a Roland V-Bass which was £1000 compared to the GT-6B's £399. The V-Bass had accurate models of fretless, lots of different basses, amps, cabs, and all the effects of the GT-6B. Hell, if you like it more power to ya.

However, I think I'll stick with my stompboxes for now.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

So - how much did you pay the shop, overall?
  8. Overall I payed £779 (which was the cost of the POD etc refunded plus £327. So lets see - £1106. I also replaced my Hiscox bass case (the one that got smashed in my car crash last year), so £69 of that was replacement bass case and was picked up by my insurance firm. So I guess my total would be £1047.

I'm now awaiting their call to tell me to go pick up the GT-6B!
  9. PanteraFan - thanks for the thought. Anyway, I knew about the V-bass, but didn't wanna spend £1000 on an effects box. The Boss looks to me like a stripped down version, that has most of the effects of the V-bass bu not quite the level of synth bass tracking and the pickup thingy.

I'm not too bothered about amp simulation - I just got rid of a POD!!!!!! The Boss still has some simulation! Also, I prefer to learn to play a fretless than have a unit simulate it. (I also didn't have a JAzz bass in my collection!:) :)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm....I think you got a good deal then, but I'm not sure about the shop?

There was arealy good shop in Brighton called Tiger Music, where the owner was very fair with deals and I liked him a lot.

Only trouble was he went out of business as other more ruthless shops took over and now you can't get a good deal and are always looking at losing on anything like this.
  11. I hate it when good shops with good friendly helpful staff go out of business. It really makes all of the difference especially to new and budding musicians!

Unfortunately Glasgow doesn't have any of those shops - well, there's one but the range is very poor. I've built up a rapport with Paul in Sound Control, and spent a bit of moeny there in the past 8 months, so I can get reasonably good deals.

I was surprised I didn't lose money on the POD though - I thought I'd get a good proce from him, just didn't expect it to be that good!

Anyway, my GAS is satisfied for now!;)
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The shop I used in the 80's collapsed. I don't mean just the business. Builders next door weakended the foundations and the guy arrived to find his shop with not one brick standing on the other. When he got through with the claims from owners of (non)repaired instruments he couldn't get compensation from the cowboy builder and went bust. Last I heard he was a painter and decorator.