1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Working Bassist Demo Reel?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Drop-the-One, Jul 10, 2012.

1. What do you guys think? Has anyone done a demo reel for themselves? I've been helping the g/f do research on acting demo reels and I've been pondering doing a similar one for my bass for hired gigs. Most of my work is for original bands/artists and a little session. The goal is to use it on the front page of a site, blogs, an easy link to send over social media/email etc.

I love the concept... under 3 minutes, short clips with the goal of keeping it snappy and interesting throughout.

I'd love to hear your guys' opinions on this, any input on constructing it etc... Do I commentate? Recordings with live footage (large stage presence is huge to me) or should video match the audio? Best ways to have the intro, middle and end? How do I keep the demo reel as interesting as possible?

And if anyone here has a demo reel/epk as bassists I'd love for you to post them here!

Thanks guys

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I do have this... a good way to highlight stage presence.

You might try something in a similar format, just more serious and shorter. Youtube video, short title page, highlights of a few bands, live shots, 10-second snippets of different songs in different styles, make the last one an ending of a song, fade out.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Yes... and a website (YOURNAME.com)...and pro biz cards... and thank you cards... and tips for the venue bartenders...

4. @pklima haha that video was awesome! I see what you're getting at though :p

@MNairhead you are very right... club staff love it when you say to tip :p of course here if you don't tip enough sometimes they stop serving you XD

5. pklima's video is awesome... if it's the one about his different moves.

6. this gets funnier every time I watch it!! The Stalking Coyote is my new fav!! All sorts of awesome!!

to the OP - I use YT w/ recorded performances I've been in. It's a good tool. When I've made reels in the past for my songwriting it's short and sweet. people have NO attention spans. A couple of clips of what you're best at. It's free to upload - put longer versions for those who care enough to want more . . .Also, I rarely keep a set reel. I usually taylor something to best fit the gig I'm going after . . . hope this helps

7. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, I'm thinking something like the best 10-second snippets of the best 10 songs you have live videos of. That would require no attention span to watch, and if somebody does want more you can have the full songs on the same youtube channel too. That seems like it would be pretty effective.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, but what singer would want to be on the same stage as the two of us, competing for the audience's attention?

Eh, sorry about dragging this off-topic...

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I keep meaning to put one together actually. I really need to get a website together for myself.