1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Working for a guitar/bass company

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I am about to graduate with my bachelors and although it’s not business or anything I am debating where I am going to work. Going into my field of study I can expect around 50k per year and I can get a job if I am willing to move anywhere and at this point in my life I have the mobility to do so.

Due to the poverty level I placed at, I received full financial aid and have only paid about 8k of my own money-thus I have zero debt. This gives me the ability to really do what I want as I don’t owe money to anyone and have savings built up.

I have been thinking about how much I love musical instruments and that is really my passion. My ideal job would be working for a guitar company, Fender, Ernie Ball, Ibanez-really who ever. If I could get a placement eventually in an overseas branch that would be ideal.

Has anyone here worked for a guitar company?

2. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I want to first congratulate you on recieving your BA. *clap clap*
    I flunked out of college so I know how hard it is and I wish you much luck in your future.

Now onto the question you asked.

Have I or anyone I know ever worked at a musical instrument factory? No.

I however want to along with you know how to get started working at one. So I'm sub'd.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I know a few people that make guitars. They are purely one man operations, but one of them makes a living at it.

There's this guy around TB that works for some rinky-dink guitar factory somewhere in the Carolina's if I remember correctly.......

4. Thanks, college has been a pain to keep going to but its something id like to get out of the way while I am young and use to going to school, since I started right after high school.

I really don’t know what I would do, but I looked on Fender's web page and I see Job listings there. I honestly wouldn’t mind starting out as just customer service, answering questions, dealing with calls in Fenders corporate office. I just know overall the thing I have the most passion for is musical instruments. I feel that if I started out in this field I would advance quickly, take on more duties and really do any training offered. I just don’t think there are many jobs that I would apply myself to as hard

I was not thinking of being a luthier as I dont have those skills, but just really any ground level corporate job thats tied to a guitar company.

5. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I guess that depends on what kind of skills you can offer be it accounting or IT ect. Find out where companies have offices and start knocking doors.

6. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    On this board you've displayed that passion for the goods, a lot of hustle, and a head for business. Those are good traits for a young person wanting to get into the field. I have no idea what working in the musical instrument industry would be like in general, but pretty much any big company is going to have jobs that range from really craptastic to awesome. It seems that there would be a high percentage of "musician types" in those companies, and we all know that means you'll have to deal with some real misfits.

I'd say- stay away from the small luthier-artiste shops. God bless them, but I think that must usually turn out to be a labor of love and a struggle to keep the bills paid. It doesn't seem like you're really into the production end of things anyway. It would be OK to spend some time on the shop floor, but don't get yourself stuck there.

Oh, and when you're communicating with potential employers; mind your "p's and q's." You're likely to run into some old guys like me who think it matters if your punctuation, spelling and capitalization are all correct.

Good luck. You may own the company some day.

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Nino Valenti is on here and he worked for Sadowsky before going on his own.

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Good Luck! Any job @ $50 K / year would be good to start out.