Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Working in a guitar store.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jun 3, 2005.

1. So ya, its summer, GAS is taking over and so it hit me, why not work at a guitar store...What kinda things are stores looking for when I show up? Like, playing skills, salesman skills, looks etc..

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ability to work for cheap and to broom the back room's dirty floor. Nobody will care whether or not you're a good player or bad.

Listen, its not glamorous, its just another form of retail, same rules apply for pretty much ALL retail employment.

3. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    It all depends on the store. Some are looking for a warm body, others for encyclopedia knowledge. I would suggest putting together a resume listing your playing experience and the gear you own. Also DON'T say you will be using your money to buy gear. They usually get turned off by that. I don't know why it's such a big deal they should know your gonna do that. As a music store employee let me tell you some benefits. You get the first crack at used gear and in a lot of cases you can buy it for what the store gave for it. Employee discounts. Employee layaway (take it home now, pay later). Some days you will listen to the umpteenth kid play enter sandman incorrectly and want to rip your own head off, but if you love musicians and you love gear it's a cool job.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you love pizza, work at a pizza joint.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Go to a music store, look at the employees, if they seem happy enough that you'd like to join them rock on.

I've been offered dozens of jobs in music stores and I still refuse to take them because I love playing music. If I had to be around the kind of hacks who wander in and out of guitar center all day playing slipknot on $5000 basses their mom is going to buy for them I'd probably never want to touch my own bass again.

6. vkgphil

vkgphil

Mar 25, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Amen!

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    It helps if you cand do things like repairs and setups, as well as everything else already listed.

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I worked at a guitar store for almost a year. Skills like customer service, retail experience, and decent knowledge of equipment are much more important than playing ability. It can be alot of fun, and a pain at times- just like any other job. As said, it has its not so glamorous moments...usually when you're getting your paycheck. But, getting discounted prices on gear is great. Take advantage of that if you can, cause it sucks to pay full price after knowing what dealer cost is.