Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Working on another one and wanted to show it off and ask opinions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 27, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    With Ryan's help this was born. Hopefully he will approve. Maple, Mahogany, Wenge, Walnut and a thick Bolivian Rosewood fingerboard. I am trying to decide what pickup to put in it what are your opinions. I have a Fender '51-p re-issue, a G&L Humbucker or a Basslines STK-J2 Bridge hot stack. What do you all think?........t

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I like it! I kinda reminds me just a wee bit of the old Guild Pilots (just a little bit....). It has a very sleek profile.

:^)~

3. Yeah, I sort of got the same vibe but I saw some other instruments in it's lineage too...A Thumb, of course, given the upper horn, and one of the Ibanez 924 "Butter Beans" from the early 80's because of it's overall narrow body.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    cool thanks guys now what pup to put in it?.....t

5. Are you limited to the pups listed? If not, I would seek a suitable version that is smaller like some of the smaller HB'ers. You've got such a narrow body with nice linear flow that it would be a shame to break it up with a large black bar sitting across the middle of it all.

Or maybe...you could just put whatever pup you decide on in a nice matching pup cover?

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    This design would look cool for LightWave

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Hambone, not a bad idea. Any suggestions on the pup? I need to keep it low $ due to how cheap I sell the basses for. Any tips on doing the pup cover. The bass is standard 19mm spacing between strings just FYI.............t

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    A MM-style humbucker wouldn't look or sound to bad. Maybe TWO?! Like Hambone said, just keep it small.

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Aren't those pretty large?...........t

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've never actually seen them in person, but they've always looked kind of small... to me anyway.

I saw, on some parts site, "mini-humbuckers." I can't remember where, though.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    There's a link to a dimensional pic here

12. I've used this small Gibson replacement from Bass Parts Resource and it sounded great in the bass shown. BassMonkee is fond of calling them "mudbuckers" but was really surprised when he heard this one. They are less than $30 each. The ring is plastic and can be milled down for height or (hint following ;) ) replaced with a nice wood one. The case is a heavy plastic with spring loaded adjustment. It is chrome plated and I mean PLATED. My original intention was to take off (what I thought was) the cheap chrome plating. Nope, this was thick and even and had a nice, thick copper plating under it that took my will to go on away...I wound up just painting over the chrome and locking it in with poly.

You could make an ebony cover to match the original pretty easy. Cut a block to dimension, drill the pole holes, hollow out the back. Combine that with a ring that matches your center board and you'll have a total package. IMHO :D

13. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  14. Sure they do, but I got the price wrong. It's the Gibson Bridge EB humbucker on the top row center. It seems that they may have gone up in price a little.

15. arcobigj

arcobigj

Sep 14, 2004
    Easley, SC
    Nice piece of wood you have there. Have you considered using a fender single coil like those found on the telecaster basses? (if that is what you meant by '51 p re-issue, please forgive my lack of knowledge) . It is a small pick-up, about the same size as a standard telecaster/stratocast bridge pick-up. Good luck with your search. :)

16. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    arcobigj Yes that is the pickup I decided to use. I have heard a lot of good things about them, and it is the smallest I have. I have never played one though.

17. arcobigj

arcobigj

Sep 14, 2004
    Easley, SC
    I have only played a telecaster bass once before and I thought the sound was kind of thin/tinny sounding for a bass. Maybe it was the pick-up, maybe it was the total package, who knows? Perhaps by experimenting with pots of different values you could darken the tone a bit. Keep us posted!

18. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    well I got it playable today. I need to do a lot of sanding but it seems cool. The pickup is very noisey though. I guess this is the way the stock Fender "sting" type pickups are?

19. That pup fits the look great!

20. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yes it did do Ok. I need to get the right length screws. Stock pup screws are way too long and tuner screws are too short to raise the pup high enough. Neat little bass so far. I am trying it out at the open mic jam tomorrow......t