Working on Rhythm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mikey96, May 22, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, I have to say I am very frustrated with my playing right now. I realize I am still somewhat new to the bas(slightly less than a year) and while my theory is decent and improving I can play fast, and speed with my fingers my basic rhythm when it is slowed is brutal. I find myself wanting to speed up on the bass constantly. Im even decent on the drums can play fast but not slow. I know what needs to be done-metronome. I guess I should first download one off the net, then save up and buy one. Will this really help out my rhythm and take me to the next level? I practice loads and vow to work hard with the metronome. Any other advice? I guess I should just keep practicing and plucking away, I have to push those thoughts of quitting out of my head and rise above, thanks all.
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Continuous practice and serious work with a metronome will help with your speeding up problem. It also takes time to get comfortable with the instrument and your still new to it which is also a factor. Additionally you must get to a point where you internalize and feel the slower tempos. Start listening to slower music, and then listen some more. Overdose on ballads, etc., check out what the bass is doing there, more for the rhythmic phrasing than the actual notes. Practice, practice, listen, listen, and play, play, play with other people, all types of music, all types of tempos.
  3. thank you, I better get cracking.