Working on your bass - Neck Damage questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PrestonSF, Feb 10, 2009.

1. So, I was going to work on a bass soon, specifically a Lakland 5501. It is set up pretty nice already, and I'd like to replace the pickups without messing up the truss rod and intonation setup that's working nice already. Do you think it's okay to take the strings off without loosening the truss rod all the way? Will this damage the neck? I've read various different opinions on this matter, and hear different things, anywhere from "don't ever take all the strings off your guitar/bass" all the way to "it's okay, just try to work fast." What should I believe? I feel like it makes the most sense to loosen your truss rod all the way if you're going to need to take the strings off an instrument... but I don't necessarily want to do that...

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

-Preston :p

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  3. They say to change strings one at a time on a Floyd Rose, to avoid messing everything up, but aside from that, i have never heard of there being a problem with having all the strings off.

I cant even begin to count all the times my instruments have had all the strings off. Actually, its 2 or 3 times a week usually.
    I take them all off when i change strings, when i go under the pickguard, i even take my strings off just to wipe down my epoxy coat to keep it clean.

I have never had any problems with any of my instruments because of this.

4. Oh, sorry to post in the wrong place... Thanks for the info!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021