Working out and playing?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Evan R, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Evan R

Evan R

Jan 25, 2006
    Hi everyone! Wondering if anyone out htere has been in my situation. Are these two things mutually exclusive?

I've been incorporating lifting 10 lb dumbbells into my exercise regime, and lots of push ups. At the same time, I have been, I realize now, pushing myself too hard when practicing -- I've been practicing seriously for two years -- and now my elbow and shoulder hurt when I practice.

Obviously I'm cutting out any upper-body work until this thing blows over, as well as reformatting my practicing routine. But I don't want to rule out strength training completely... but it's clear that lifting weight was making my arms stiff and inflexible.. the exact opposite of what I spend my time practicing to accomplish!!

perhaps if I just don't push like the other guys at the gym, but slowly (very) build up over a couple of years, starting only with push ups, it could be feasible? Any suggestions would be great. It was easy for me to be ignorant of the fact that we are athletes on a micro-level, now I am learning the "challenging" way!!

cheers, Evan
  2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Weight lifting, especially at the level you're talking about, does NOT make you stiff and inflexible. You are probably sore from starting a new workout routine. Lay off for a few DAYS, then go back to it.
  3. Just don't play bass the same days you work-out. Try some stretching too, it will probably make your muscles more flexible
  4. I work out and play on the same day, but I play in the early morning (5:30 or 6:00 - 7:00 AM), but I work out in the evening.

I think the key, for me, is that I warm up and stretch before and after, both the playing and the work out. Admittedly, this is sometimes very hard to find time for, and I sometimes cut the warm up/stretch short. It does seem to work.

Of course like you, I'm doing push ups, crunches, and light weights only.
  5. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I went to physical therapy at school for some oh the pain that you may be describing. I had it in my bow arm shoulder and bicep. The lady suggested that it maybe that the pectoral muscles were stronger than the ones in the back that pull the shoulder blade back and, thus, made the arm fully extended more than it needed to be. She gave me some streches and exercises that have worked very well.

Hope I guessed right.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've been working out steadily for over 5 years and it never got in the way of my playing. If you're hurting yourself my guess would be you're doing something wrong. Practicing perfect form with light weight is great exercise. I get the best workouts when I concentrate on the muscles I'm working, and do the exercises as strickly and perfectly as possible.

I have experienced elbow and shoulder pain - at those times I was killing myself with too much weight and too much training. I don do that no more. :)

Also - for pushups, they sell pushup bars for about $15 bucks at most sporting good stores that really really make things easier on the wrists.

Last 2 things - Pull ups and chin ups mess with my elbows, glucosamine & chondritan (found in the arthritus section of the vitamin store) truly works if you're having joint problems. There's tons of info in the stores and on the web on this supplement.
  7. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
  8. Yep, not my preferred time of day either...