Working out

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alexvs, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Recently I heard from a friend, who is a fluteplayer, that he didn't work out at the gym because he is afraid that his fingers will become stiff... is this really something to worry about? And I don't mean working out on an everday-basis but more like 2-3 times a week, and not particurlary hard, just to keep in shape... Or does everbody here keep away from the gym?
    Thank you
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That seems ridiculous to me. It also seems like an excuse not to work out. I have no excuses. I'm just lazy.

brad cook
  3. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat

Those last two sentences are gold. :)
  4. rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I work out pretty heavily atleast 3 times a week and I don't ever have any problems with my fingers being stiff. If anything it makes em stronger. The only thing I might suggest is possible some gloves cause I do get mad calouses. I've played right after a workout and I didn't have problems with the lactic acid buildup in the fingers of my fret hand. If anything you may be a little shaky and sore but that goes away within an hour.

Just my experience........
  5. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Thank you for replying!! Means I have to work out on sunday.. hmmm, good or bad? =)
  6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I work out and have noticed that it is much easier to play the bass, walk, stand, breathe, sleep, and pick up my big 5-year old.

It's good stuff, just go consistently, and add a LITTLE bit of weight to the bar every couple of weeks.

7. rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    It'll be good for yeah, always makes me feel better and more energetic...... :)
  8. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    I rock climb, and my fingers and wrists tend to be a bit stiff immediately after a session, which makes playing bass difficult for a couple of hours, but it dies down quickly and it's good hand-strengthening exercise. I think your friend's just making excuses... :)
  9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    well victor got ripped sumhow, and hes too nice of a guy to get that strong just kicking people around. Id say he looks like he works out alot, and he if he does your fine.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    There have been a bunch of threads on this topic. It seems to have been firmly established that such statements are nothing more than lazy, pompous, excuse ridden, malarkey. I believe working out has made me a better bass player. I feel better and therefore play better. I also don't get winded and dizzy when I jump around, like I used to.
  11. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    You crack me up. Every time I see a post from you I laugh.
  12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My mitral valve's telesystolic prolapse :eyebrow: made me hate physical training. We simply don't get along. I try to compensate that with kinda "healthy" lifestyle: No alcohol, no cigarettes, no drugs... my only vice is Diet Coke.
  13. I was into football for about three years (line man) but I started to get worried for my fingers. There is most definitely risk with breaking your fingers playing sports, so now I'm just in the weight room with the football players. I feel great after a good lift, the only problem is sometimes the squatbar digs in right where my strap goes, and that is kind of a hassle. It's worth it for the feeling of good health though.

On a side note, I recommend cycling over jogging. Better for cartilage and is easier on the back. Either way you should keep your heart rate above 140 for 10 mins to keep your heart in good shape. Rougly 2 miles jogging or 4-5 miles cycling.