1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Working with WYSIWYG software and legitimacy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Lately I've been taking some advantage of my school account and I've gotten into Microsoft dream spark. They offer a lot of software, particularly Microsoft expression and visual studio (from version 2008-2013). The latter I know not much about.

So lately I've been thinking maybe going into web design is the next "big idea" of mine. Of course, the question that comes up is "would my work be legitimate working in a WYSIWYG software environment?" Or would it just get kicked back with "anyone could do this". I took an introductory web design class and did well. I think going further, with some serious YouTube time might be the fix. At least for front end development. Back end....well, I have stuff to learn.

What's your take on it ?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Since "Web design" can mean, well, just about anything... Visual Studio may be an OK fit for you. There's about a million tools out there for web design/development - I mostly use Notepad++. So it depends on what you actually want to do. Either way, your work will speak for itself - it doesn't much matter what "tool" you use to produce it. Unless you use Front Page... it'll "work" (maybe), but the code will be an absolute mess, to say the least. If you're working with the code itself, all the better as you're learning how it actually works.

3. Yea when I started out it was text pad/notepad ++. But raw code I can write (or remember so I can write) but I'll be the first to admit it.....the coding aspect is daunting, to say the least. However it may be something to give me a transitioning angle.

4. If you're wanting to take web design seriously as a career move you need to get comfortable with designing templates for dynamic frameworks eg. Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla - based on PHP. You don't need to know how to code PHP but it definitely helps. A good knowledge of CSS will allow you to edit, develop and reskin templates for these sites. I don't know how much you know about CSS but basically - it separates the design from the content in such a way that you can totally change the look and layout of a site by applying new CSS. eg; http://www.csszengarden.com

http://csszengarden.com/219// and http://www.csszengarden.com/213/ are the same site with different CSS applied.

WYSIWYG environments (as far as I know) are pretty much just good for developing static pages. (TBH I haven't had a look at these apps for a while so they might be capable of that these days? Apps like Dreamweaver might work OK. FORGET Microsoft based apps.)

I'd get started by learning the rules of CSS and applying to a few basic HTML pages then research how this can be applied to dynamic sites.

5. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Nothing wrong with getting started in a WYSIWYG environment - they can be used for either static or dynamic pages. You will have to learn to tweak your CSS style sheets - some of what is in CSS style sheets is HTML, other parts like declarations and classes are unique to CSS. Nobody can inherently tell how the pages were built, other than the declarations and tags that identify who made the template or in the case of things like Wordpress the theme. I started with hand coding back in 95, then Frontpage(sucks), then into dynamic site building using MySql and PHP.

There is nothing wrong with using a template/theme - you find a couple you like and get good at tweaking them and they become yours. Wordpress has greatly surpassed Drupal and Joomla in users, themes and overall support by internet communities. I'd say Joomla is a distant second and Drupal is way behind Joomla. Themes and templates save you coding time and errors on really basic stuff - to write the equivalent of a really simple Wordpress site by hand coding would take you 100+ hours of hand coding AND you'd have to spend hundreds of hours learning a level of PHP an MY Sql you may not need or want when all is said and done. Nobody give you a medal for it. There is still plenty to tweak and get jiggy with. It's like learning an instrument - first you learn covers because the primary creative work is done and you know how it should sound(or look in this case). You can always move on to writing your own stuff.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  6. When I was doing web stuff some years ago, Dreamweaver was my go-to. It was WYSIWYG as well as code, so it was also an excellent learning tool.

7. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    OP - learn to "borrow" from other people's pages. "View source"(right click) will allow to to see other folks HTML, DHTML and java scripts which you can lift. "Inspect element" allows you to look at the the CSS calls(not the entire file) so you can often figure out why your CSS changes aren't changing - oh douh! it's inheriting a value. Common problem.:D And of course you can sometimes see how other people are doing things in their CSS in inspect. I've even used Inspect to show a client quickly how their site would look with a slight color or element tweak without actually logging in since the CSS changes show in real-time, albeit they are not permanent.

8. A buddy of mine also uses expression currently, must be pretty decent.

Visual studio I read the wiki......how can it learn so many #^+%ing languages?! Lol.

For some reason I'm also trying to learn GIMP thoroughly, thinking I might need to be some graphic design guru to make everything pretty.

9. While inspecting may help, I think starting from scratch or template might be best. I'll have to see what's out there.

10. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I didn't mean lift an entire page - just sometimes you will see something on a site and wonder "huh, wonder how they pulled that off?" It's a push up the learning curve. Like I said earlier, nobody is going to give you a medal for recreating the wheel. The object is to get something built, code is just a tool. YMMV

11. Gotcha. Thanx