Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Workingman 15 owners please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Apr 6, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I just picked one up used yestrerday and am a little concerned.I'm not sure if it's doing what it should.First off the sound is pretty dry and sterile and i don't notice much difference when i try and adjust the effects blend.I see you can pull out the effects knob but to my ears i hear no difference in tone in or out.I'm not sure if the green effects blend light is supposed to light up when engaged but mine doesen't,however,when I turn off the amp within a few seconds both the effects light and the preamp light all of a sudden come on and stay on for about 5-10 seconds.Is there something wrong with my amp?are the effects blend supposed to give it a wet compressed sound,or is it basically a dry sounding amp? :help: thanks

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I don't own the combo, I have the cab though. Mine is very full sounding with nice big punchy low end.. Although SWR amps tend to be sterile sounding. There may still be something wrong.

3. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I have a workingman's 15 combo and I love it. I will have to look at my settings when I go home. The two lights you are talking about, when you are looking at the amp, the one on the right is the compression light. It should come only when it is compressing the signal. If it stays on, you should turn down or cut back on bass. The one on the left comes on when you gain is two high. When you turn off the amp, I was told that it is normal for the two lights to come on for a short time. What I do is turn off the speaker before I turn the amp off. If you don't, you will get a pop. I play an 1987 G & L sb1 with emgs and round wounds. Love the sound.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    the lights blinking and then fading out is normal, its in the manual.

and the effects blend will only make a difference if you ahve effects connected to the effects loop.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ahhhhhhhhyou beat me to it

you can turn the effects blend all day with no effects in the effects loop. and no, you're not crazy, there was no difference in sound ;)
    as far as the tone being somewhat "sterile" - welcome to SWR. now always the most exciting tone out there, but it cuts thru well in a full on band situation. :)

i don't belive the green light is for the effects loop. (unless its clearly labeled as such) i belive its an indicator light for when the onboard compressor is engaging, or when the poweramp is clipping. but i'm pretty sure its for the compressor/limiter.