Workingman discontinued???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bplayerofdoom, Aug 27, 2002.

1. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    Is it true that they discontinued the workingman. They guy who sold me my amp at Guitar Center told me that but I find that hard to believe being the workingman got discontinued being it got a new look this year. I'm happy thou because I got me a Goliath 3 and a used workingman 4004 head instead.
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I think he meant that the current Workingman gear was being cycled out in favor of the "new look" gear he was talking about. Workingman gone forever? I doubt it... it's a real cash cow for SWR.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's an absolutely certain and definite "NO." SWR has showed no indication of discontinueing this line and it is included in their 2002 catalog with a new look as someone indicated above. Either the salesman is bsing, he got bad info or he didn't communicate well.

brad cook
  4. I am pretty sure they are here to stay. I will say that I like the look of the new ones a lot better. The 15 combo no longer has that shelf in front of the knobs any more. Cool.

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    They're also quite a bit heavier, but I believe the 15 adds tiltback wheels.
  6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Wow... 70 lbs, and the casters won't help with stairs or anything. I'm glad I got mine before they made the change. And the WM 12 now weighs about as much as the 15 used to. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for SWR's obsession with impractically heavy amps?
  7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Maybe the wood was cheaper. I get the impression that the weight listed for cabs is just the weight on the specific test cab, and the wood density can vary quite a bit from cab to cab.
  8. I think they should have kept it down to the same weight but with the new side handles. What? No pick shelf?
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You may be on to something. Perhaps in the past, they used plywood, but now are using particle board? It is quite a bit heavier(and less expensive) than plywood.
  10. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    But I like the shelf.... It's a good place to put my bow if I don't have the quiver on my URB. I'll either do that or hide the bow inside the piano. Not to mention the fact I can lay my tuner, keys, and candy bar on there too. :D
  11. What's with guys liking the shelf? I understand the utility of it as expressed above, but I can't help thinking that losing the shelf means that much more cabinet space and thus a lower Q and bigger tone. To quote another longtime hardcore TBer, "of course, I could be wrong."
    I still love my "old-new-look" WM10, which, thankfully does not have any design changes. The 2002 "new look" is actually the second facelift the WM series has had. Anyone remember the original WM amps with black carpet and diagonal grilles?
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Absolutely, man! I bought a Workingman's 15 the first year they came out and used it up until last year when I sold it. I also have one of the original Workingman's 300 heads as a backup that I might be selling on Ebay soon. That 15 was a true and faithful combo that is still being used today by the guy I sold it to.

brad cook
  13. I have used a workingman's cabinet (1X15) for about two years..........I definately remember them. :D They have proved to be very reliable and have even taken some bad spills. They work just fine. I only stoped using that cabinet when I got my twelve pack in about a week ago (2X12).

I like the old styling myself...........I thought about selling it but I think I have a collectors item in the making. Think about a couple years those things are going to be so frickin rare to find!