1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Workingman's 12 vs. TKO 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EBodious, Nov 26, 2010.

1. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    it may be a strange comparison, but one of each of these is for sale at my local pawn shop. the swr for $200 and the peavey for $180.

the guitarist in one of my bands runs a small recording studio out of his basement. he has been wanting to get a bass amp to have available down there. so, it would mostly be for recording and not playing out live. obviously, it won't be high end, but if someone is recording and they want really nice tone, they probly have their own gear. this would be to offer in case someone needed it. i guess as a back up

for me, this amp allows me to not have to bring my gear in and out of the basement for band practices. that gets to be a drag. so, my concern is if either would be loud enough for practice. we are a 2 guitar, drums, bass rock band, but, we don't play loud.

as far as the studio is concerned, the amp would need to sound clean. i have not tried them out yet.

my question is how comparable are these amps at these prices? thoughts?

thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Whichever one you think sounds better is the right choice.

3. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    The SWR has a built-in DI out for recording that sounds fantastic. I've used it myself and have always been happy with the results. Those Peaveys are great old workhorses. But, I don't recall if the ones I've owned had a built-in DI.

That would be the first thing I would look for if I was buying a "studio" bass amp.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

your pal should be getting a good di and headphone system

i own both and have always recorded direct

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'd go with the SWR, to me it would be the more tonally versatile amp.

6. the tko115 is good for the money but it was one of those amps that annoyed me when i played it

i could never put my finger on it but it didnt blow me away

7. its all personal opinion but I like the faster and tighter response of a 10" and the bottom end presence of a 15" and personally I think the 12" does a great job of combining these features

8. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    I think they may both be priced a little high. SWR for recording& Peavey for gigging.

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    no

10. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    thanks for the input, gang. it is true, he needs a better headphone system. i am looking forward to trying the amps out if for no other reason than just to explore them a little. i am waiting to hear from him though, cause its really his deal.

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I owned WM12 for years and it was a real gem for having at home. I tried it once in a small coffee house jam and was totally not impressed as it was just too boxy sounding when cranked up. It sounded great at lower volumes and not too bad at all with the 115 extension cab but if its your only amp, you may want to find something a bit bigger. I would not limit yourself to these two choices. You could find a 115 cab and a 2-3 hundred watt head on the used market for the same money and be totally satisfied.

12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Assuming your friend's budget studio doesn't have amp isolation rooms, then +1 to tracking bass through DI and monitoring in the cans.

Recording sometimes marginal bassists through an amp and bleeding that sound into the drum mics just complicates overdubbing, re-amping, and mixing.